ION record vs record only

Sorry but I just can't get it clear in my pin sized brain the exact difference in these.  Is there a way to describe them in a generic fashion to focus the picture in my head?

• Record will give you an image of what you see onscreen, that is, the current DMX output, sort of a snapshot of the current scene (and I'm overgeneralizing a bit here) - record only will record the currently selected fixtures, or parts thereof, depending on usage - so [1 thru 5][record only][color][sub 1] would record the color values in fixtures 1 thru 5 into sub 1, as an example (and possibly a poorly syntaxed one at that). Without specifying what you're trying to record only, I believe the board treats it as a normal record command - I think...

• Record Only will selectively record only manual set values. (values in red) If you have used a WholeHog, it is similar to recording what is in the programmer, as opposed to the entire state or output of the desk.
  • The description in the manual explains it well.

Using Record Only
    [Record Only] is similar to [Record] except that it selectively stores only manually set values,
    preventing unwanted levels (such as from a submaster or another cue list), from being recorded
    into the cue. Therefore, when used to record a cue, only the manual data for channels will be stored
    in the cue. Any values in the previous cue that were unchanged will track into the new cue.

• Sorry J.  you're in error.

Record will record all DMX levels being output EXCEPT those from subs set as Exclusive.

Record cue 5.2 Enter.

Record Only will ONLY record any manually changed data.  It won't record any data coming from cues, subs, effects, etc,.  Only channels with red data will be recorded.

Record Only cue 6 Enter

You can specify which channels you want to record, if you have a bunch of unrelated manual changes.

1 - 5 record cue 19 Enter. (ignores channels 6 through XXXX)

Does that help the OP?

Andrew Riter

• Well now I don't feel so bad asking.  I guess it's a bit more complicated than I thought.  Yep I read and re-read the manual and walked away as confused as I am now.

How bout one quick example:

The difference between record a focus pallete and record only a focus pallete

• Say you bring up a cue with 4 movers in it focused on a chair. You move two of the units to focus on a table instead. If you [record] focus palette xx it will record all 4 of the focuses into the palette xx. If you [record only] it will only record the two movers you moved since they were still manual data (levels shown in red).

[edited by: bosox242 at 6:35 PM (GMT -6) on Fri, Oct 14 2011]
  • Record stores ALL data for any channels that are in use - even parameters that you have not touched.

Record Only stores only manual data.

It's pretty easy to see the results of this:

Select a moving light.  Set the intensity and pan/tilt - but don't touch the color or beam.

Record cue 1.   You will note that ALL of the parameters of that channel have been stored.

Undo.

Record Only Cue 1.  You will note that only intensity and pan/tilt have been stored.

Record Only is a selective store, using manual values as the qualifier for the record. It can be combined with other selective store commands and follows all of the rules of selective storing.  Record can also be a selective store:  channel list record x.  channel list focus color record x.

:-)

a

• One day it will all suddenly flash clear.  Do you use record or record only when creating palettes as well as addiding additional fixtures to the same palettes.  The tea breaks show select last, record, the type of palette then the palette number.  What would be different if I used Record Only instead for the same purposes.

Also would using Update not be correct when adding fixtures to an already existing palette or fine tuning the focus palettes which always change from venue to venue.  Or are we to always do it as the Tea Break describes.  I know there is always more than one way to skin a cat but seems so much simpler to use "update" and the Tea Break makes no mention of that.

• Jeff Toussieng said:

The tea breaks show select last, record, the type of palette then the palette number.  What would be different if I used Record Only instead for the same purposes.

Record Only in this instance would include only the manual data for the referenced channels. If you were recording a focus palette, but only moved the pan (thus making it manual, & showing a red value for pan), only pan would be recorded into this palette. Using the command line as shown in the tea break would include both pan & tilt.
    Jeff Toussieng said:

Also would using Update not be correct when adding fixtures to an already existing palette or fine tuning the focus palettes which always change from venue to venue.  Or are we to always do it as the Tea Break describes.  I know there is always more than one way to skin a cat but seems so much simpler to use "update" and the Tea Break makes no mention of that.

Update would probably be preferable, as update should merge the new data in, whereas record replace the existing data. (if ch's 1 & 2 were already in the palette 1, and you wanted to add ch 3 to palette 1, record would make palette 1 only have ch 3, whereas update would include ch's 1, 2, & 3)
  • jrgoss said:
    Update would probably be preferable, as update should merge the new data in, whereas record replace the existing data. (if ch's 1 & 2 were already in the palette 1, and you wanted to add ch 3 to palette 1, record would make palette 1 only have ch 3, whereas update would include ch's 1, 2, & 3)

Jon, that's not actually correct. Recording Channel 3 into Focus Palette 1 is the correct method for adding a new channel and will not remove other existing channels. Update will only add the manual information for Channel 3 into that palette, just as it only updates the manual information for channels already in the palette.

Cheers

Dan

• Where I use Record Only most often is with Beam Palettes. I have a beam palette that does nothing but put Zoom at minimum, then another one that only puts a fixture in Gobo 1, and so on. If I used [Record] [Beam Palette] when making my individual gobo palettes, then I would record all of the beam parameters into the palette. But if I use [Record Only], then only the red data that I've manually changed (the gobo select) will be recorded. This way, I can use both my Gobo 1 palette and my Zoom minimum palette on the same fixture, and neither palette will replace the data provided by the other. Does that help?

• One bit of clarification... pan and tilt (like CMY, HS, RBG) are dependent parameters.  Therefore, if you move the pan encoder, the tilt value is automatically "made manual."  The only way to store just the pan or tilt into a record target is to use selective storing or filtering.  

Speaking of which.... selective storing and filtering are good topics for you to become familiar with, as they are additional tools to help control what gets stored.

:-)

a

• My apologies. No more sleep deprived late night postings!

[edited by: jrgoss at 9:55 AM (GMT -6) on Wed, Oct 19 2011]
Related