Is it possible to change the colour direction for Hue/Saturation colour transitions?

Hi All,

I'm using S4 series 2 LEDS in HSIC mode currently.
I'm finding when I do colour transitions on the Cobalt, i.e. change from Red to Blue, that the Hue value always scrolls through the long way, clockwise.
This gives some less than desirable colour results, as we go through yellow & green.

It's be great if there was a setting to change the rotation direction so that it could go anti clockwise, which would give a shorter and more acceptable colour change from red to blue.
I've been told that on the Eos/Ion that there is a way to make this happen. Is there such a setting on Cobalt?

I accept that HSIC mode for the S4 LEDS may not be the best suited to some situations, but it's what we need to use for now.
Other fixtures using HSI modes will also have this issue.

Parents
  • So, four years later to the day, I have a similar question.  A production is bringing in 150 LED tube fixtures.  They are planning to use them in a 16bit HSI mode.  As I am looking at it, I think that I would be better in a 16bit RGB mode.  I know RGB mixing better, and I know how to manipulate colors to create the color path that I want.

Here are the questions-

1.)  Is the new color system in v8.2 able to allow fading Hue on both paths?  Also, if I fade a palette live, will it go just the logical path as opposed to most color smart?

2.)  Other than saving 300 DMX addresses (150units x 2 ch/each), is there an advantage to HSI that I am not getting?  

3.)  Will HSI work with Image Effects?  On FB, Oskar wasn't sure that it would.  On the MS to set up an Image Effect Layout, it only has an RGB pixel.

Thanks,

John

• So, four years later to the day, I have a similar question.  A production is bringing in 150 LED tube fixtures.  They are planning to use them in a 16bit HSI mode.  As I am looking at it, I think that I would be better in a 16bit RGB mode.  I know RGB mixing better, and I know how to manipulate colors to create the color path that I want.

Here are the questions-

1.)  Is the new color system in v8.2 able to allow fading Hue on both paths?  Also, if I fade a palette live, will it go just the logical path as opposed to most color smart?

2.)  Other than saving 300 DMX addresses (150units x 2 ch/each), is there an advantage to HSI that I am not getting?  

3.)  Will HSI work with Image Effects?  On FB, Oskar wasn't sure that it would.  On the MS to set up an Image Effect Layout, it only has an RGB pixel.

Thanks,

John

Children
  • 1) Unfortunately no, Hue is still faded 'natively' - around the Hue circle.
    8.2 adds the colour picker side, it doesn't affect playback.

3) HSI will not work with Image Effects.
    In 8.2 and earlier it only drives RGB and CMY colour mixing.

That probably answers your (2).

As to 2) "It Depends".

HSI (16b Hue) has nicer intensity fades than RGB (8bit) (due to 'virtual' intensity), but worse colour fades.
    - 8bit RGB has a visible colour shift during up/downfade, as it doesn't have the extra byte.

Given 4 DMX slots, Intensity+RGB is the best as it uses the same or fewer DMX slots than any worthwhile HSI and has good fades in both colour and intensity.

16bit RGB doesn't suffer the colour shift of 8bit RGB - but of course, it uses 6 slots.

Related