RDM patching

I would like the desk to autoconnect patched fixtures to RDM fixtures or at least let me connect them.

Now if you have a patch and turn on RDM cobalt don’t connect that the ch1 Robe600 in mode 1 patched to 1.1 is the same as the Robe600 in mode 1 patched to 1.1 found in RDM. And I can’t just say this is ch1. I have to un-patch the device and then re-patch it in RDM.

It feels like it could be done faster.

Parents
  • Alright, I am 364 days later on bumping this discussion.  (See post about HSI to appreciate me bumping another discussion.)

This project is bringing in 150 LED tube fixtures.  Because of the nature of this installation, I thought that RDM would be a good idea.  This has raised a number of questions and issues.

I know that I can only have a max of 32 fixtures on a Gateway port for RDM.  So, 150 fixtures becomes a minimum of 5 universes, and I would probably use 6 to have flexibility in where the breaks occur.

I would want to patch this in advance and address the fixtures manually as they are being installed, but I want RDM to be able to troubleshoot.

From what I have read in this post and Johannes post on the beta forum about RDM, let me ask if this method of dealing with fixtures makes sense.

Step 1) Import Template and patch fixtures based on the plan

Step 2) Save patch

Step 3) Rig and cable all of the fixtures.  (Possibly pre-addressing fixtures)

Step 4) Turn on RDM and run discovery

Step 5) Use the RDM to change addresses as needed.

Step 6) Turn off RDM

Step 7) Re-open my play file from before working with RDM.

Program!

Thanks,

John

• So first a question about the fixture count. why only 32/output? would not a RDM DMX Splitter lift that number? it's just 32 in a row, isn't it?

So back to the RDM.

You can always see, identify and change settings on RDM devices in the RDM Device list even if they not are patched.

the problem is if you have pre-patched lets say ch 1 to 150 and then want to link that to the device you find with RDM. that do not work. you need first to un-patch the channel before you can link a RDM device to it. But you can pre-program groups, pallets, presets and so on, then when you get the rig up, un-patch the fixtures and then connect them to the channel number they should have in RDM Device list.

Where did I find troubles?

Most was when I patched to the wrong channel and removed it in RDM device list, the channel was still occupied in Device list by a identical fixture but that wasn't linked to the RDM part. So a mistakes in RDM device list have to be cleared on other places i the desk. That is a problem.

Another problem is that sorting columns in RDM device list isn't holding making it hard to see what fixture is where.

If all you want is addressing and mode change I would recommend Concert for that. It's a much better tool for RDM than Cobalt. The reason I do it in Cobalt is that I can. I'm testing it out as a beta tester and a user that can't hold my fingers away. I just have to try, and then spam Anders with bug reports! ;-)

Good luck, and let me know if you wonder any thing else.

• Hi Johannes,

Some days I think Anders is happy for us, some days I think he wishes he never “met” us. Wink

RDM is limited to 32 devices on a gateway port.  Splitters will work, but there are only so many bits that can get squeezed into the DMX code, so that is why it is capped.

Thanks for your post.  I was thinking about using Concert.  I also have a DMXCat that I can use per line to make adjustments via RDM.  This fixture doesn’t seem to have one of the features enabled via RDM that would be most useful.  There are signal indicators that can only be disabled in the on board menu that I wish were in the RDM controls.

It is fun to get a chance to work with some features that I haven’t before.

Take care,

John

• Hi Johannes,

Some days I think Anders is happy for us, some days I think he wishes he never “met” us. Wink

RDM is limited to 32 devices on a gateway port.  Splitters will work, but there are only so many bits that can get squeezed into the DMX code, so that is why it is capped.

Thanks for your post.  I was thinking about using Concert.  I also have a DMXCat that I can use per line to make adjustments via RDM.  This fixture doesn’t seem to have one of the features enabled via RDM that would be most useful.  There are signal indicators that can only be disabled in the on board menu that I wish were in the RDM controls.

It is fun to get a chance to work with some features that I haven’t before.

Take care,

John

Children
No Data
Related