Cobalt Version 8 Software running on Laptop

Does anyone have system requirements for running the Cobalt software V8.0.1 on a laptop? I installed the last version of V7 on an HP Elitebook 6930p laptop running Windows 7 (https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-elitebook-6930p-14-1-core-2-duo-p8700-windows-7-pro-xp-pro-downgrade-2-gb-ram-250-gb-hdd-series/specs/) and it ran fine. When I tried V8 it through up a message about insufficient graphics capability. 

I'm looking at potentially purchasing a new laptop/tablet to run the software on (as a remote/offline editor) so I need to know what spec to get.

Thanks in advance!

Parents
  • I had this problem when I was starting to beta v8.

This is what Richard suggested, and it worked for me.

For buying a new computer, this is at least the OpenGL info that you will need.

Good luck,

John

The official minimum graphics spec is OpenGL 3.2 or newer.
    - This was a significant change to the OpenGL standard, when a lot of old things were removed.

However it will work on some older machines if they happen to support appropriate OpenGL extensions.
    - I expect most OpenGL 3.1 machines will work, while most 3.0 won't.

What is the graphics card on this machine?

There is an advanced environment variable setting that might help with some graphics chips:
    - Control Panel > System > "Advanced System Settings"
    - "Advanced" tab, "Environment Variables..."
    - In the top half, click "New..."
    - In "New User Variable:
    Variable name: QT_OPENGL
    Variable value: angle

Click OK several times to close and apply, then try starting Cobalt v8 again.

If that doesn't work, edit the Environment Variable QT_OPENGL to the value "software" instead of "angle"
    This setting will always work but may be very slow.

Let us know if this helps.
  • Thank you very muchly. It gives me a base line to look at new machines with.Thumbsup tone2

Reply Children
No Data
Related