VERY URGENT MIDI question

Hi all

The situation is this:

I've got 3 Sequences (2+3+4) on 3 Masters (6+7+8)  and the master keys of those masters are the Go for those Sequences. I'm usingI MIDI with QLAB connect to my Congo Jr with Cobalt v7.3.1. So I can make the QLAB press the GO on the Main Sequence but what I NEED is to press those master keys to do the GO on each Sequence, but until now I can't do that so if someone can HELP ME I'll pay a beer (if you came to Portugal of course)

What I have to do on the QLAB and on the console???

Why the Go on the Main Playback is so easy but to press another key is very complicated???

PLEASE PLEASE HELP.

I've got the premiere today at night and only have a few hours on the afternoon to solve this problem...

Pedro Alves

a desperate light technician

• The Main Playback is tied to MSC Go/Pause/Resume commands. You could send MIDI Notes from QLAB to your Congo Jr to trigger the Master Keys of the Masters.

See the MIDI Appendix in the help system for specific implementation details on which MIDI Note and velocity correspond to which master key.

Alternately, you could have a step in your sequence link to a master or action macro to trigger the additional sequences.

• Please note that if you are sending MIDI notes for press buttons, you need to send a NOTE ON message to press the button and a NOTE OFF message to release the button.

• Cobalt also supports two different MIDI 'dialects' - "Original" mode and "Direct mode".
    Choose in [Setup] > MIDI tab.

Direct mode was added in v6.4. I think it's probably the better dialect for your purpose.

In Direct mode all the console playback buttons have a single MIDI Note.
    However as there are more buttons than MIDI notes, the console listens to MIDI channels 1 thru 5.

All the notes for Direct mode are listed in the Help, but quick summary:

• Masters 1 thru 20 are MIDI Channel 1
    • Masters 21 thru 40 are MIDI Channel 2
    • Masters 41 thru 60 are MIDI Channel 3
    • Masters 61 thru 80 are MIDI Channel 4

The actual controls are:

• Master Keys are Notes 0 thru 19
    • Flash Buttons are Notes 20 thru 39 
    • Master Faders are Controllers 0 thru 19

So Master 6 is as follows:

• Master Key: MIDI Channel 1, Note 5
    • Flash Button: MIDI Channel 1, Note 25
    • Fader: MIDI Channel 1, Controller 5

• First thanks all for your quick replay

So the instruction on the QLAB it will be "Channel 1, Note 5"  ????

The MIDI Appendix is not very explicit to the MIDI fucnctions and how we can work with MIDI as a Console receiver. I've got the sound guys around me making some questions that the MIDI appendix doesn't have answers.

I'm on my way to the theatre so if you can confirm this instruction I'll used and after I say if it work

Again Thanks

Pedro Alves

• Yes. But make sure you send both NOTE ON and NOTE OFF, or you'll just press the key and never let go!

• MANY MANY MANY THANKS TO ALL

You save the show. Everything works perfectly. The sound guy now have to work a little more because is he o send a lot of cues from those masters.

Again MANY THANKS to all

Pedro Alves

P.S.: a sugestion is to make the MIDI appendix on the help a little more improved maybe with more examples for send and/or receive the MIDI signal

Related