CS AV universes

Question about the ColorSource AV console I know there are 2 dmx ports but I want to confirm that they are Universes 1 & 2 and not an in and out like the Smartfade.

Parents Reply Children
  • ColorSource limits work the same way as other ETC consoles.

ColorSource consoles have 40 or 80 "Desk Channels", patchable anywhere through the one (standard) or five (AV) universes.

Desk channels can be a single dimmer, or the latest moving light - or anything in between.

• Hi, Richard!
    I spent 1h of my time searching for 40AV control ch/parameter count, in home page and user manual it is impossible. Then I found this forum and read your first answer and at that moment i get really happy because I finally found the information what I was looking for. But then I read next your answer and everything suddenly falls a part. How this is working in my case I need info about 40AV so you are saying that with 40AV i will be able to control only 80 channels in any part of five universes? So if I have 100 DIM ch I can control individually only 80 of them?
    Why ETC cant write down the information about control channels in home page?

Thanks!
  • I think maybe the terminology is throwing some off.

The CS-40AV will handle 80 DEVICES. The term "channels" from traditional consoles really doesn't apply. To confuse things ETC uses the term "Channels" when they really mean "Devices". The number of dimmer assignments (DMX addresses) is still 512 per universe. You could have 80 intelligent fixtures, each having 12 DMX addresses spread over 2 universes. Just forget "channels" and if you do see it on the CS think "device".

The CS console has it's limitations and drawbacks, and I wouldn't want to run moving head fixtures on it, but it works quite well in certain venues and situations. The "Playbacks" are easy to assign as "looks" and then simple to explain to volunteer operators how to use.
  • Thanks, your comment explains everything.
    ETC should give you a "gold coin" about your answer!
  • Channel is the correct terminology.
    - A Channel is a user definable number that can be patched to a single or multiple Devices via a DMX Address.
    - Multiple Devices can be addressed to the same DMX Address.

Meaning a single Channel can control multiple lights either by a soft patch within the desk, or fixtures addressed the same, all from a single user interface end point.

In JanisT's scenario where the desk may only have 40 or 80 channels. It is very easy to group fixtures doing the same look, a Cyc for example, by giving all Devices the same DMX Address and then controlling them all from a single Channel.
  • Yes you can patch single or multiply fixtures with the same DMX address, but you cant tell that AV 80 have 80 desk channels its automatically 80 dimmer channels or 1 pixel fixture what use 80 dmx channels (of course you can duplicate them with the same address)

And again you are saying that with AV 80 I will be able to individually control fixture channels so I will be able to control 5pcs Mac Aura 14ch mode and 10pcs of dimmer channels and my "desk channels are gone"
  • One Desk Channel is One (Independently-controlled) Luminaire.

5 Mac Auras + 10 Dimmers = 15 Luminaires
    80 Desk Channels - 15 Luminaires = 65

So you have 65 desk channels remaining, which is another 65 fixtures.

It does not matter how many DMX slots a fixture consumes.
    Even if you had a fixture that used 100 DMX slots, it would still be 1 (one) Desk Channel.

• "ETC uses the term "Channels" when they really mean "Devices"" text from AlfSauve you shuld put this in AV web page.
    Hope that programming on AV desk will be more logical than this desk chanel/device ideology.
    Thanks!
  • The problem with this "Channel" terminology is that coming from the "classic" (think ETC Express) world is all DMX addresses assigned to a channel move in concert. If the channel is at zero then all addresses are at zero.

Take a CS PAR set up for 5 dimmer addresses, on an Express board you need to use 5 Channels to fully control the PAR.
    But on newer boards, like the CS Console, you assign the PAR to a DEVICE, which knows the "definition" of the CS PAR and uses 5 DMX addresses to control all the features/functions of the fixture. Forget the word Channel.

To add to the confusion in the CS PAR datasheet uses the word Channel as a synonym for DMX Address, which is okay for traditional (Express) boards, but adds to the confusion in the new world.
Related