ColorSource Color Engine

Greetings all, color control is a very important feature for us and we share your desire for more options in ColorSource. We are currently working on the 2.0 software release, however, the majority of the color engine rework has been moved to a 3.0 software release. Color is a large enough endeavor that we are dedicating a complete release to it. In order to prepare for this, we are first going to concentrate on some internal rework and changes in 2.0.  Please feel free to send any suggestions you have for future enhancements to me directly or continue to post on this forum.

Thank you all for your continued support!

-Lowell

Parents
  • Hello! Very excited to see there is work being put forth on the color engine. I fully support @Erics sentiment regarding the lack of ability to properly control color.

On a small multi-camera shoot this past week with a ColorSource40 it was impossible to output just white on RGBW tape. Dragging the color picker to the VERY bottom on the hue-saturation page (and using "fine" control) still resulted in a color mix. A closer inspection of universe output via DMX tester revealed white channel to only be at ~75%, with a mix on RGB channels. I expected the RGB mix as i could see it on the tape, but was surprised at a low white channel value.

For camera, this shoot required full white channel control, and to achieve this we made a custom profile containing RGB color and a Zoom channel set to beam mode. This retained color picker abilities, and then able to mix in white as needed (or in isolation) via zoom parameter. Of course the side effects of doing this meant that white is not HTP or on a handle, but (seemingly) LTP and you will have to pay very close attention to filtering when recording playbacks to avoid conflicts --- it's a very nasty hack just to control white. We could have also patched white channel as a dimmer/desk channel, but that of course eats up channel allotment.

Color on this console has been rough, and am very much looking forward to the V3.0 update. In the meantime, if possible for 2.0, dropping the individual channel values into the attributes/parameters menu for individual control would be a huge help while waiting for greater changes.

Thanks much, and hope that helps.
  • Hello! Very excited to see there is work being put forth on the color engine. I fully support @Erics sentiment regarding the lack of ability to properly control color.

On a small multi-camera shoot this past week with a ColorSource40 it was impossible to output just white on RGBW tape. Dragging the color picker to the VERY bottom on the hue-saturation page (and using "fine" control) still resulted in a color mix. A closer inspection of universe output via DMX tester revealed white channel to only be at ~75%, with a mix on RGB channels. I expected the RGB mix as i could see it on the tape, but was surprised at a low white channel value.

For camera, this shoot required full white channel control, and to achieve this we made a custom profile containing RGB color and a Zoom channel set to beam mode. This retained color picker abilities, and then able to mix in white as needed (or in isolation) via zoom parameter. Of course the side effects of doing this meant that white is not HTP or on a handle, but (seemingly) LTP and you will have to pay very close attention to filtering when recording playbacks to avoid conflicts --- it's a very nasty hack just to control white. We could have also patched white channel as a dimmer/desk channel, but that of course eats up channel allotment.

Color on this console has been rough, and am very much looking forward to the V3.0 update. In the meantime, if possible for 2.0, dropping the individual channel values into the attributes/parameters menu for individual control would be a huge help while waiting for greater changes.

Thanks much, and hope that helps.
Children
No Data
Related