UI wishlist

I’m plunging in the deep end with a new CS20 AV programming for a studio theatre comedy which uses 20 or so fixtures including one mover, effects, sound, projection and has over 80 cues. There are some things I find clumsy about the User Interface which may not be too difficult to improve.

Stage map - is great and saves having paper plan clutter. However I find it too easy to alter parameters on a fixture I have previously set up but have unintentionally left selected. I would much prefer to tap a fixture once rather than double tap to deselect other channels. One finger - one tap - one fixture, just as if working on faders. To select a group, hold one finger on one fixture and use the other to toggle other fixtures in and out of the group. Multi-finger multi-selection. I appreciate many people will have got used to the way it works now so maybe make this an option in Settings.

Wheel - like the XY plot the finger position seems to affect the rate of change rather than the value of the parameter directly as one would expect from a physical wheel and happens on other parameter buttons. It’s more like flying an aircraft and a bit difficult to get used to. Again any change to this might have to be a Settings option.

Cue list - full scrolling cue list and arrange so if you keep your finger on a cue it becomes the target of the GO button. This way you can quickly navigate the cues while plotting and rehearsing. The Tag system is good but rather unwieldy.

Edit cue - extend the editing input line to include the icons showing what the cue contains, and allow you to toggle them on and off, so if you change a lighting state which spans a series of sound cues which have picked up intensity info by default you can deselect their influence on the look. Likewise you may want movers not to reposition through a sequence of colour changes. A bit like user control of tracking. On the AV it might also be handy when laying a finger on the sound speaker icon to see the file name of the clip.

I have yet to upgrade to 2.5 but don’t see any chages like this listed. It would be nice to see what other people think.

Parents Reply Children
No Data
Related