Spurious position parameters being recorded in cue stack

I have just plotted a Christmas studio comedy show on a CS20AV software v2.5. To supplement the rig and stand in for multitudinous coloured specials that the 12 dimmers can’t support I have hung an Equinox 120 zoom moving head. Running through the cues I notice the head moving far more than needed to Move Dark to the programmed positions. Quite often the spurious movement is to X=0 Y=0 and can cause the head to bang against its end stop enough to rotate the base relative to its hook clamp, upsetting its aim for the rest of the show. I have sent the show file to ETC but have yet to hear from them. Slowing the Move Dark in Settings is a work around but leads to instances where the head hasn’t reached its position before coming on.

This show makes extensive use of the CS20AV, with a stack of over 80 cues, effects, follows, sound effects and even a still and a video toy projection, so the cue stack isn’t easy to fault-find. It is extremely irritating not to have ‘random access’ to cues. Having to step back and forth using GO and Back can be very tedious and the cacophony resulting from stepping back through sound cues is highly annoying. I appreciate that to achieve Move Dark correctly one has to step back at least as far as the previous cue with XY values which is why it it isn’t good that the Cue List cannot be scrolled back more than one past cue. You have to scroll on and round. The Edit Cue List involves scrolling back from the very end, so reaching a cue you want to view and change can be very time consuming. The other annoyance is the way editing a cue’s look can drop any media attached.

I feel I could do better if I could export the show file to a spreadsheet, amend it and reload it. Then I could use copy and paste to ensure lighting doesn’t change on sound cues, ensure media references don’t get dropped, moving lights don’t get 360 degree displaced values, or as in my original issue, false values aren’t inserted.

• Hi Stuart!

I am looking into this for you right now, I will have some feedback for you shortly. Thank you for reporting this!

Sincerely;

Brandon M

• I am going through your show file now to sort out the Move-Dark behavior that is giving you problems. As for stepping through the cue stack, you can use Go to Cue commands so you don't have to pass through and back the whole stack using Go/Back. Go to the Cue List->More->Goto Cue. Then you can type the number of the cue and it will send you there.

Additionally, an SCR has been added to prevent the 'Edit Cue List' from snapping to the end of the list each time.

Sincerely;

Brandon M

• Thanks Brandon. 

Pardon my ignorance - SCR?  (Senior Common Room? Silicon Controlled Rectifier?)

Yes, I have used Go to Cue but often it takes more taps than I need to go. It would be great if you could do it by selecting a line on the list, holding it and tapping GO or have a separate Goto button and Edit button come up. I love UIs where you don’t have to think about numbers.

Glad you found my show file and hope you can reproduce and sort the problem. First night tonight but luckily not a show that’s too critical.

• Hey Stuart!

I do a lot of community shows, so I believe every show is critical! :) I'd like to get some sort of resolution for you before you open tonight, even if it's only an understanding of what's going on. SCR here is software change request; our official defect report to the developers.

Now, onto the big issue, the move-dark. I stepped through your showfile a few times and made some notes. I found four common focus points for your Equinox 120; P/T: 158/154, 199/68, 155/14, and 100/18. I found the 0/0 focus in two places: Cue 0 and Cue 13.4. Those cues were actually the only two cues I could find where the Equinox moved when the next cue did not contain an intensity value for it. So that leaves two questions:

1: Are you possibly seeing more move-in-dark's than I am? Move in darks should only happen in the cue immediately preceding active intensity values, which is what I saw, except for the two exceptions listed above.

2: Was there anything unique about the programming of cue 13.4 that may have caused that 0/0 to sneak in there? Possibly was it recorded from a playback or memory containing those values, or was the cue modified to remove the intensity from the next cue?

I am looking for the common denominator as to why there might be moves I am not seeing, and why the 0/0 focus moves exist. Bear with me!

Sincerely;

Brandon M

• SCR - is Software Change Request (aka bug/fix number)

• Thanks, Brandon.

Don’t bust a gut, I am LD for the play but have had to leave to others tonight (1.5 hours time UK) as I have other commitments and hope the work-arounds suffice. Will return to it tomorrow and will look at it all again. Any further thoughts welcome. Glad you found the problem. Yes, I do think there is another point where it goes to X=0 but almost immediately goes back. Will let you know as soon as I have been back to the theatre 

• Another possible symptom of this problem. I was using the desk (CS20AV v. 2.5) to light a trad jazz band, with the same Equinox Fusion 120 zoom  picking out solos. Due to late arrival of band and movement on stage I was busking the pan on the touch screen controls with the other hand on the intensity fader rather than setting up position memories.  Occasionally without warning it would pan across the audience to position 0. This was not a DMX fault because I could see the display drop to zero as it happened. Made me look decidedly incompetent.

Related