USB Midi Encoder and Pad Panel - integrating with Nomad

Hi there, 

So I have an Akai MPD218 panel successfully talking to Nomad, and I have successfully set up an Event List in Show Control to fire some macros from it. 

What I am wondering is if there is a way of making it handle ascending and descending values differently ? 

Specifically I am looking at two of the endless Rotary encoders and wondering if I could map them to macros to create a [PAN @ +01] as I turn the encoder to the right, and [PAN @ -01] as I turn it to the left. 

As far as I can tell, you can only map hard control changes to a specific Macro, and therefore it is impossible to differentiate between up and down ?

Many thanks

James

Parents
  • how is the panel communicating with nomad? midi? osc? what happens when you turn the encoder, what kind of message does the akai send?
  • Hi, thanks for responding so quick. It's a midi panel. and it features both Pads, which do note on note off and pressure sensitivity, and endless Encoders, which do Control Change 0 - 127 ....

I've had Nomad responding to both currently, I just can't think of a way of programming the show control setup to mimic the behaviour of an encoder in the way I describe.

As such, I can only really see USB midi panels like this being useful for sub levels, or for firing macros for colour changes or beam changes (or anything else), in more of a live environment.

Or am I missing something ?
  • starting in 2.6 control change values are being considered by show control. but the three available action targets are Cue, Sub, Macro. the only thing where control change currently makes sense is a fader. and Pan on a fader doesn't make too much sense. and to be honest, control change isn't suitable to handle today's parameters. it has a value range of 128 while pan has 65536 steps. with each step on your encoder you make a 4.5° turn on your fixture...

you might be more successful with luminosus (but this doesn't solve your problem of midi's value range that was suitable for the 1980s...). it's a win/mac program and a iOS/Android app that can take midi and translate it to OSC. OSC can handle Eos encoders, but i'm not sure if it will work like you want. but with OSC you could move your encoders to fine mode, which then would help to be a bit more precise with e.g. Pan.

http://www.luminosus.org
  • Hi Ueli,

Thanks for your reply. I'd had a look at Luminosus, which seems like a really powerful bit of software which you could use to integrate a lot of different things ....

I guess my aim was to try an external encoder out with something I've already got, and to use the physical encoders to position a fixture approximately, before doing the detail work with ML Controls, which I don't find to be a particularly intuitive interface.

I'd only be interested in moving the fixture 20 degrees or so either side of the home value, hence the suggestion of the command (macro or similar), being relative to the existing position, rather than a hard value.

I suppose I shall await someone producing the OSC Encoders commercially, or in kit form !

Thanks for all the advice

James
  • Absolutely like that. It's just for someone who has never undertaken an Arduino project before, this is all a little daunting. For example, it lists on the parts list "Rotary Encoder", of which there would seem to be many many variants.

I'd suggest if someone was to make small box of all the bits required, and even better get an aluminium enclosure with the appropriate holes and slots cut into it, they would make a lot of money out of the likes of me !

I've no aversion to learning how to make one up, I just need more information than I can currently find on the GitHub. The projects you've all made up using that look seriously impressive ....
  • Patience... stuff is in the works.

Get your checkbook out and ready.

Reply Children
No Data
Related