How to have Nomad EOS accept a MIDI trigger from a stand-alone audio playback device, files created by Reaper?

Hello,  I am involved in an installation project where we will be linking a sound cycle to lighting effects programmed by EOS/Nomad.

We are looking into how to keep the light in sync with the sound.

The sound will be designed on Reaper and in the final installation will be played back on a stand-alone audio playback device (likely the Cymatic LP16: cymaticaudio.com/.../live-player-lp16) which includes "standard MIDI File playback capabilities." 

What specific type of Midi Show control message is needed to send to the EOS/Nomad to trigger the light program we will create?

Can EOS/Nomad create this type of file? Or does anyone know if Reaper can create the signal that EOS/Nomad needs to receive to get the program going?

I am very new to this.

Thank you.

• Eos can accept MIDI notes to trigger console events. Using third-party sound software (such as Live or Logic... and while I've never used Reaper, I'm sure that Reaper can do it as well), MIDI notes can be "recorded" into a MIDI file and played back over the MIDI ports of that Cymatic unit.  Eos cannot generate such a file directly.

In the Eos show control window, you can map each MIDI note to a console event (a Macro, a cue, etc.).  Generally, you can either choose to have the same note repeated at the start of each segment of music (and map that note to a macro that presses the [Go] button on your Eos system), or you can have many unique notes that trigger specific cues.  Either way will work, you just have to decide what will work best for your system.

Two things to keep in mind:
    •You must use a compatible USB-MIDI device on your Nomad computer.  See this thread for more information: https://community.etcconnect.com/control_consoles/f/eos-family-show-control-support-midi-smpte-osc-rtc-etc/23773/midi-over-usb

•I don't believe USB-MIDI devices are directly supported by Nomad on Mac OS.  If you're using a Windows computer, you'll be fine.  If you're using a Mac, you'll have to translate the MIDI notes to OSC using a program like OSCulator.

Hope that helps.

• Hello Paul, thank you much for this information.

In your experience, have you been able to use Midi Notes to trigger events in EOS directly? I.e. without a gateway device or console? Our current setup does not include either of those devices.

We have EOS on a PC laptop and then the audio files (with potential MIDI track trigger) on the stand alone audio player.

Other than a USB><MIDI device connected to the laptop, is another intermediary device needed to get the EOS to understand or accept the signal of MIDI notes?

Thank you.
  • The current gateways do not accept MIDI notes (they only understand MSC). The only way to get MIDI notes into the system is with a USB MIDI device into Nomad, or to use the local MIDI ports on an Ion or Gio. Since you’re using a PC laptop, all you need is a plug and play USB MIDI device.
  • Thank you, that is very helpful. Is the macro that you mentioned above (which presses "Go") something that is built into EOS? Or is it something that has to be created? of MIDI notes? The person we were working with had said this was only possible using COBALT and we planned to use EOS.
    But maybe that is not the case for the current version of EOS?
  • You can record a macro on the Eos, yeah, and then link that macro to an incoming MIDI note.  Every time Eos receives that MIDI note, it will fire that macro.

Check out that link I posted up above.  Since 2.6, Eos has also been able to receive MIDI notes as long as you use USB or internal MIDI hardware.

Related