Audio trigger /sound to light

Hello community,

is there a way to trigger sound to light features through any kind of ETC system? For our next production we want to have lights flashing like an audio analyser, or to put simply, the Knight Rider talk effect. I've seen third part software that can do it and I'm trying it out currently, but that would mean I would need to have a computer run another software and having to merge the DMX output with the ETC console (everything needs to be in one universe). And if there is a way around it...

Thorben

• Entschuldigung, das ich hier mal auf Deutsch schreibe.

Ich habe auch schon beide Programme (Sound2Light + Luminosus) ausprobiert. Bei beiden habe ich eine zu hohe Latenz. Meine GIO ist ca 1sec. verzögert.
    Kann das mal jemand testen, ob das immer so ist, oder habe ich nur falsche Einstellungen?
  • You generally don't get latency issues with this, alhough there will be some slight delays (the raw DMX command would be 23ms as thats the frame frame on DMX).

I wonder if your issue is that the sound source you are using is not a direct feed from the PA but just a mic on the laptop in the control room and you are observing the lights from down by the stage.

Assuming a BPM for the music of 120 then 0.25s delay is a half a beat out, sound can only travel about 80m in that time.
  • Die Programme sollten nur eine minimale Latenz aufweisen, wie Mike A bemerkt. Ich denke das dies
    eher auf ein Netzwerkproblem hindeutet, aber auch interne Laptop Einstellungen können Probleme machen,
    z.B. die interne Signalverarbeitung.
  • Maddin,

What is the setup you are running ?
    An EOS desk or Nomads (on PC or Mac)?
    What is the Sound2Light or Luminosus running on (you probably don't want to run both at the same time)
    How is it connected to the desk/nomads?
    How are you lights connected?
    How is the sound being fed to Sound2Light or Luminosus?
  • Hier mal ein paar Daten:

Ich benutze ein Windows 10 PC mit "ETC - Sound2Light".

Die Verzögerung entsteht nicht erst bei der Weiterleitung, sondern das Programm "ETC - Sound2Light" macht die Verzögerung.

Als Soundkarte habe ich ein "Behringer XENIX 302USB". Meine interne Soundkarte "Asus Xonar D2X" ist noch etwas langsamer.

Aber das Problem wird nicht an meinen PC liegen, da auch andere Personen mit Windows 7, oder auch Windows 10 genau das gleiche Problem haben.

Bei Luminosus sieht es ähnlich aus.

Im angehängten Video sieht man, was ich meine.

Video:

https://vimeo.com/272114741

Gruß, Maddin

• I compared your video to how it behaves on a mac and there is less lag on the macbook but it does have some. I tested with just using the built in mic and it probably had half the lag from what you had in the video. I also tried with a software loopback sound connection so that I was eliminating the delay from the audio digitiser and then the lack was very minimal.

So I think I concluded that the delay was primarily down to the sound digitisation device. I know from previously trying to use a software effects generator with a guitar that the delay can be too long. Although with some devices you can adjust the buffering, which means lost audio it you tell it not to buffer much, but if you are only using the audio to drive the sound to light, then trading off reduced lag against some digitisation error would make sense.

See if the drivers for the Behringer interface have any options to adjust the buffering.
  • Hallo,

Danke, das Du dir die Mühe gemacht hast, Sound2Light zu testen.
    Ein Delay zu benutzen, kommt für mich nicht in Frage. Viel besser wäre es Sound2Light soweit zu verbessern, das es verzögerungsfrei läuft.
    Mein Behringer Interface hat keine sichtbare Verzögerung auf meinen PC.
    Ich habe schon mit einen anderen Lichtprogramm (und genau der gleichen Hardware), genau dieses geschafft.
    Nur möchte ich in Zukunft das gerne mit meinen ETC-Pult (GIO) machen.

Im angehängten Video siehst Du, wie genau das andere Lichtprogramm arbeitet.
    https://vimeo.com/236162297

Gruß, Maddin
    Deutsches Theater, Göttingen

• Hi Maddin,

die Verzögerung in Sound2Light und Luminosus kommt wahrscheinlich hauptsächlich davon, dass sie einen zu großen Audio-Buffer nutzen. Das heißt, die Programme puffern zu viel Audiodaten im Speicher bevor die Analyse beginnt.

Ich hoffe, dass ich diesen Sommer dazu komme, das zu ändern und die Verzögerung zu minimieren, kann es aber noch nicht versprechen.

Beste Grüße
    Tim
  • // english below

Hallo Maddin,

das Problem mit der Zeitverzögerung wurde in der neuen Version von Sound2Light behoben. Du kannst sie hier herunterladen: github.com/.../releases

Grüße
    Tim

// english

For everyone reading this thread: The problem with the high latency in Sound2Light was fixed in the newest version (0.0.3.1.0.2). It can be downloaded here: github.com/.../releases
  • Hi Tim, there are some small problems on macOS (Mojave beta) MacBook Pro 15'':

- a popup/Users/sstaub/Desktop/Bildschirmfoto 2018-07-25 um 17.11.04.png that this app has no verified developer

- some items are cut, items on right site, frequency bar, on Retina screens it seem that the app don't use

the native resolution, it uses the full resolution, so the text items are small.

- please support dark mode for macOS mojave

• Hi Tim,

Danke, für deine Mühen.
    Deine neue Version ist wirklich viel besser. Es ist zwar immer noch ein Delay zu sehen, aber so wie es jetzt ist, ist "Sound to Light" wirklich schon gut zu gebrauchen.
    Wenn Du noch ein paar ms. rauskitzeln könntest wäre das super. Aber ich vermute mal Du hast schon alles versucht, was geht.
    Habe mal schnell ein Video gemacht, wie es gerade bei mir läuft. In Original, läuft es etwas besser, als im Video.
    Ein paar Ruckler kommen durch meine Aufnahme.
    https://vimeo.com/281698436

Also, noch mal Danke für deine Arbeit!!

Maddin
  • Eine gewisse Latenz ist unvermeidbar, es ist halt keine Transtechnik Anlage mit direkter Tonanbindung. Auch von mir ein Danke an Tim für seine tolle Arbeit (besonders bei der Luminosus app).
    Leider schafft es ETC nicht eine direkte Hardware Unterstützung auf den EOS-Family Pulten zu implementieren.

• Just as a balancing comment.

Even if ETC had implemented it in the desk, given the desk is just a computer which would be having to run software doing the same as Sound2Light, it wouldn't be better and arguably would be worse as the software would have to be competing with the main EOS process which is busy running the lights (seems to run at about 30% CPU on my Nomads mac). The overhead of sending the OSC data from one machine to the other is small compared to the work sound2light needs to do (normally flat out on processor)
Related