MIDI Keyboard controlling intensity

Hi!

So I've been asked to program a show with MIDI where they want a MIDI Keyboard to control color, pan/tilt and intensity of some movers. I don't really worry about the color and pan/tilt since those are fixed values for that show and I can link that to a MIDI note, but they also would like to have the intensity controlled by the touch dynamics of the keys. Is it possible with an EOS Ti?  

Would love to know more about this and if it's possible with an EOS desk. 

Thanks! 

Lianne Eikelenboom

Parents
  • This is possible, but with a few limitations.

•Eos supports mapping MIDI note velocities to submaster fader positions, but it does not support MIDI control changes or aftertouch/channel pressure.  This means that when the console sees an incoming MIDI note with a certain velocity, the submaster will snap to a level that corresponds with the velocity of that note.  There is no way to vary the intensity over the duration of a note.  If you want fades, you have to get creative and store effects on the mapped submasters, or map your MIDI notes to macros that sneak the submaster handle, etc.

•You're definitely going to want to run the beta of v2.9 (available now) or the released version depending on when your show goes into rehearsal. v2.9 introduces a number of improvements to MIDI note mapping.  It's possible on 2.8.2 and before, but it's a huge pain.  I'm not going to go into the workaround here!

•In the Show Control setup window, set your list type to "Network" and then make a new event.  Set the MIDI string of each event for each note with a Velocity setting of 127 and a Velocity Threshold of 0.  Make sure to uncheck the cryptically named "Threshold at 0 = Disabled?" checkbox.

Then set the event's action to "Submaster" and "Fader".  You should be all set.

•In my testing, there's a huge difference in the performance of different ETC Network MIDI hardware and the internal hardware on the consoles.  I have not specifically tested the performance of the MIDI ports on a Ti (and they might be great), but I do know that the MIDI ports on an Ion are not able to keep up with large amounts of incoming MIDI Notes.  For the best performance, use one of the new Response MIDI Gateways and set it up on your network.

• I believe people also use https://www.luminosus.org/ for this sort of thing as well. Not sure if that would negate the need for 2.9 beta or not.

Reply Children
Related