Has the ION GPIO port got a voltage protection circuit?

Has the ION GPIO port got a voltage protection circuit? If I were to send more than the 12v would I damage the analogue input circuit?

Background: I have an emergency stop button that is being cabled by an XLR to the DB15 connector on the back. I want the button to be around 10m away from the desk. I'm wondering if buying a power supply to increase the voltage send by the button would cause issues to the ION's GPIO port. I'm concerned that just by adding a 12v DC power supply one end would actually not work due to voltage drop.

Parents
  • You don t need to increase the voltage - there's s going to be no practical  voltage drop on a 10m xlr cable. 

The resistance of that cable will be no more than 1 ohm 

youd have to be passing an amp along the cable to drop just 1 volt and your cable will have melted before you could drop even half your 12v 

The actual current used will be a few milliamps and so the voltage drop a few millivolts.

• You don t need to increase the voltage - there's s going to be no practical  voltage drop on a 10m xlr cable. 

The resistance of that cable will be no more than 1 ohm 

youd have to be passing an amp along the cable to drop just 1 volt and your cable will have melted before you could drop even half your 12v 

The actual current used will be a few milliamps and so the voltage drop a few millivolts.

Children
No Data
Related