Connecting ETC and Qlab on the same device using localhost.

Hello!

I'm having some trouble trying to connect Qlab and ETC Nomad together on the same device. 

I have the ETC Student Nomad dongle and I'm wanting to trigger cues from Qlab on ETC on my computer. I have been able to connect Qlab to an ETC ion through OSC however I haven't been able to do so to the ETC software on my computer through OSC. What I am wanting to be able to to is cue all of my lighting cues from Qlab, with Qlab and ETC running on my computer simultaneously.

I was wondering if it is possible to make the two programs talk using localhost, so that I don't have to have an ethernet or wifi network. Some context for this, the show I am on is going overseas so I want to be able to run everything off my own laptop. Is it possible to make ETC and Qlab talk on localhost? The trouble I have faced is giving the ETC software an IP address to talk on as there is no network. 

I have also tried using the ETC OSC router but have not had any success (although I am not 100% on how to use this program). 

I have read a lot of discussions on connecting Qlab and ETC however none have been done so through localhost - I'd love to know if anyone has any solutions to this! 

Thanks! 

Parents
  • You've not mentioned the OS you are running Nomads on but on mac the 127.0.0.1 loopback network doesn't seem to be there if no other network interface is up.  ie you might need to connect to some wifi or plug in a cable to a router (doesn't need anything  else connected to it) to get the loopback interface up.

• Sorry I left that out! 

I'm running a 2017 15" Macbook Pro on Mojave 10.14.6. 

Yeah it's looking like I'll need to connect something else up - was hoping it would be possible to do it all within the computer though! 

• You can run it all on the computer and you don't actually need a connection to any network,  just a network interface connected as Apple appears to have decided to save memory by not loading the tcpip stack if no network interface is present.   So you just need a wire connected to fool it.

Almost anything will do eg a $25 wifi access point not connected to anything or a network hub (although with a mac you'll need a USB etthernet adaptor). 

I guess you are using a gadget rather than sACN/artnet to connect to the rig as if you are using the later you'd have a network and then it would then just work.  

• You can run it all on the computer and you don't actually need a connection to any network,  just a network interface connected as Apple appears to have decided to save memory by not loading the tcpip stack if no network interface is present.   So you just need a wire connected to fool it.

Almost anything will do eg a $25 wifi access point not connected to anything or a network hub (although with a mac you'll need a USB etthernet adaptor). 

I guess you are using a gadget rather than sACN/artnet to connect to the rig as if you are using the later you'd have a network and then it would then just work.  

Children
No Data
Related