Third party wings with Nomad

Hi all,

TL;DR: Poor uni student with Nomad dongle needs faders but cheap ones please so I can afford to eat.

First post, so hopefully not too stupid.

I have seen the lxkey [http://www.lxkey.co.uk/] for Nomad for about £300 (minus student discount) that looks like a decent alternative to the Ion programming wing despite not having the intensity wheel, but are there any more third party fader wings? As much as I'd like to, I just can't justify (or afford) to drop £1k+ on an official set of faders or a programming wing... :(

Firstly, does Nomad even support third party wings? (I'm guessing the lxkey can get away with it as it is effectively just a keyboard with some funky keymapping) If so do you have any suggestions for the cheapest you can find? If not, is there any kind of student deal for the wings?

As a bit of background I am a student at the University of Edinburgh. We have an Element in the student theatre here, so when I was tech managing a show in an external venue I opted to rent a Nomad with the 2x10 universal fader wing - I loved it so much that I ordered myself a Nomad with the (fab) student deal, although the wing is well out of my budget.

I'd like to build up a small collection of my own kit so I can learn it inside out and hopefully be able to turn up anywhere and have the core kit I need already with me. Also remote controlling an Element with Nomad running on my laptop from downstairs is fantastic for get-ins. (and kinda funny watching people in the tech box when stuff moves without them asking it to)

Cheers,

Rob :D

Parents
  • Nomad supports OSC which allows for all kinds of accessories. Not many have been built yet but prototypes and one off have been made for faders, encoders, buttons, etc. If you are just looking to get the functionality without the physical hardware elements I would suggest looking at oscRFR. It is an iOS and android app that gives you encoders, faders, and almost every button that exists on the console. There are ways to make other hardware talk to the console but it generally involves additional software and setup to convert midi/usb/other things to osc that the console understands.
  • hi! i am also a student with a Nomad. I have a MacBook Air that I'm running the Nomad on, but it isn't touch screen and is difficult to make work. I also have an iPad Pro, and I'm wondering if I download the oscRFR software, if I could hook up my iPad to work like the console, and my computer to be the monitor? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks!

• that should work, you might need a wireless access point to connect.

just to phrase this correctly: you would be running oscRFR on your iPad to be the facepanel, the macbook would be the inside of the console and the display the monitor. oscRFR is a third party app that sends control commands to the macbook which will run the Eos software end interpret those commands. all calcualtions would be done in the macbook.

last but not least: if you want your macbook to output lighting control data (DMX, ArtNet, sACN, ...) you will need to more things: a nomad dongle which is the output license for a certain amount of addresses and a box that converts either USB or network into DMX. if USB that would need to be an ETC Gadget II, if network you can use ETC products or thirs party devices that convert lighting network protocols to DMX.

• You can also use your ipad as a touch screen on a mac using something like duet display thats in the iOS appstore.   I've not used it but it allegedly can work as a second monitor and behaves like a touch screen so would be a neat way of extending a nomads setup without buying an additional monitor. 

Reply Children
Related