2.5.2 Nomad on Windows XP computer - Shell button labels gone

We have a couple of PC's with windows XP that we use  - one is a laptop that we use for a designer's remote and the other is a rackmount computer that we use for occasional configuration changes.

On both computers, after updating the Nomad software to 2.5.2, the shell windows have no labels. Only dashes where the button labels would be. (see attached picture)

I tried removing the Nomad program, rebooting and a clean reinstall from USB drive. The labels are still missing.

I know XP is a dead OS and there's probably a resource file missing somewhere, but is there a way to get the labels back?

Thanks,

Todd

Parents
  • Hi Todd,

That is quite curious. I'm not sure what's going wrong there -- if you launch as client, do you see other labels missing? Is there other text missing under Settings?

As you mention, Windows XP is quite an old OS. A few years back, we also deprecated support for it as a platform in ETCnomad. (Some of our consoles still run XP Embedded, but this is a slightly different scenario and OS). We'd really recommend moving to a Win7 PC or higher, as issues like this are more prone to pop up as we aren't testing the ETCnomad software on the Windows XP Professional/Home Edition platform anymore.
  • Hi Todd,

That is quite curious. I'm not sure what's going wrong there -- if you launch as client, do you see other labels missing? Is there other text missing under Settings?

As you mention, Windows XP is quite an old OS. A few years back, we also deprecated support for it as a platform in ETCnomad. (Some of our consoles still run XP Embedded, but this is a slightly different scenario and OS). We'd really recommend moving to a Win7 PC or higher, as issues like this are more prone to pop up as we aren't testing the ETCnomad software on the Windows XP Professional/Home Edition platform anymore.
Children
  • Hello Todd,

We have the same problem on our XP machine.  The screenshot included is 2.5.2 running on Linux Mint using WINE configured as XP, which shows it can be done.  This is purely an offline setup though.  If your planning on running lights maybe your should upgrade your hardware as well. There was no problem with 2.5.1.

For Hans,

None of the languages (ie flags) work.  There is no complaining in the logs according to the 'doctor'.  The problem does not extend to the Eos app itself though.  I'm a little disappointed by your lack of concern about why a patch release ends up breaking things instead of fixing them.

• 33boardop said:
    I'm a little disappointed by your lack of concern about why a patch release ends up breaking things instead of fixing them

The patch release fixed a few things, but when you're running on an unsupported OS small changes may have unforeseen consequences. Developers cannot indefinitely support older systems, it's just the reality of adding new features and developing software. They also shouldn't need to test on unsupported systems.

• The complete list of fixes fo v 2.5.2 from the release notes.

Issues Corrected in v2.5.2
    RND 0040789 Gio @5 Effects Editor has Parameter Icons Cut Off
    RND 0040784 [chan 1 make Null] with a range of cues selected, can create an illegal move
    RND 0040720 Custom Gel Scrolls and Gobo Wheels Are Lost During an Undo
    RND 0040707 When the last cue is auto-fired, persistent storage restores the previous cue.
    RND 0040615 Random lockup using network RFR
    RND 0040576 Snapshots: DS: Firing a DS Bank in Expand Causes a 15 to 35 second lockup
    RND 0040342 Add high DPI support to Eos to support 4K/QHD and other high-resolution formats
    RND 0039229 You can no longer double click consistently in Eos
    Known Issues Remaining in v2.5.2 ....

I see no mention of the ECU. How is it that the language packs fail to load there but are ok in the main app?
    Any decent programmer would want to know that. The same Windows that was there for 2.5.1 is still there.

33boardop
  • Not everything that changes is listed there
  • Hans,

Sorry, it's taken me this long to reply. Yes, labels are also missing in Settings.

I'm not too upset about it, just another reason to upgrade our computers. As I said, these computers are not critical, so we'll muddle along until we can upgrade.

-Todd
  • Just upgraded the XP machines to the 2.6 beta and the labels are back!

-Todd
  • I am also running Nomad on an XP system. Having just upgraded the software to version 2.5.2, I can see the labels are now missing from the ECU as others have described previously.

How can I get access to the 2.6 beta, if the issue indeed has disappeared?
Related