Budget friendly way to control dimmable house lights

I am currently compiling together a lighting system for my church and was wondering what the best, budget friendly options are available to control house lights from the lighting control desk.

Here are some guidelines that need to be addressed:
1. Must have architectural wall panel control (for custodians, etc who need to get in to the place when a console operator is not there)

2. Must be able to control the lights from the lighting control desk.

3. Must be budget conscious and effective. 

Our lighting control desk is a Element 40 250 Channel.

I'm not sure about these ideas but here is what i'm thinking;

Getting a DMXKing eDMX4 Pro to combine the console and archetectual wall panel together. (link is here:https://dmxking.com/artnetsacn/edmx4-pro) I would be open to a ETC equivalent of the product. This would be a HTP (Highest takes precedence) setup??

Looking forward to responses. 

• Can you advise if you already have a dimmer rack for the house lights? Or do you need to add one inline somehow?

Luke

• Luke,

We do not have a dimmer rack for the house lights. They are controlled with a conventional light switch with a dimmer knob. We are open to adding a dimmer rack

-Bailey
  • ETC makes a similar product to the edmx4. In fact there are several gateways of various types in the networking section of the website. HTP is the default but other priority systems are possible.

There are several factors to consider, such as wiring costs, available power and multiple button locations. Do you currently use networking for lighting, Artnet or sACN? If not then you might find a multi-port gateway less than ideal as you would need to create the network and still but an architectural button set. ( I love the Mosaic Tessera touch screen, small and powerful.)

Since you are currently using wall box dimmers you have a major installation project ahead. ETC has many dimmer racks that have architectural feature built into the processor. The Echo family is simpler and less expensive. You might need someone to help plan the system, at least a local dealer, preferably someone that's done installations systems. Since I do that work myself I'm biased that way, and I've seen many unsafe and impractical things done by those that don't really understand what's needed. Money spent planning a major project is usually the best way to save money.

It's possible that Echo Flex could solve some of your issues. It's a wireless system that is relatively new. The dimmers are individual modules rather than a central rack. Installation is almost guaranteed to be cheaper but overall function is quite limited. So we go back to the question of what you really need to have happen!

• Rick,

To answer your last question, "What you really need to have happen". I need to be able to control the house lights from a ETC Element lighting desk and also have a wall panel for custodians to use during the week when I am not there. Echo Flex may be my best bet but i'm not sure.... If you have any ideas on what the best solution for this is, I am all ears. Thank you for your help.

-Bailey
  • Hi Bailey-

Do you have any details about the house lights? What type of load is it (tungsten light bulbs, LEDs, fluorescent, could be changed) and what sort of power draw? There are a lot of different dimmers, and a lot depends on that information. It would also be interesting to know how they are currently connected - from the sounds of it, it is probably just a normal light circuit with a wall dimmer? How many circuits are there?

And if you can advise where you are located, there might be a nearby expert who can help!

Luke
  • You are right , it is a normal light circuit with a wall dimmer. I'm not sure how many circuits they are because right now I am unable to go to the venue. I can get you more info this Saturday or Sunday when I am in the venue. I'm gonna look for some theatrical lighting services through the week. Going back to controlling the house lights, I thought about using a system to control them using the remote trigger port on the element. I dont know though

Thanks for your help
    - Bailey
  • The Element speaks many controls languages somewhere along the line you'll want to narrow down to one. DMX or network (ArtNet or sACN that becomes DMX for fixtures) they are all supported industry wide.

Additional things to think about:

How many button looks do you need? 1, 10? Faders instead of buttons? Think in terms of the possible uses; clean up, rehearsal, meetings, meditation, video, simple services IE wedding/funeral?

What is the ratio of full services, button looks, dark. Predicting the actual hours per typical week is very hard but very important.

Do you have congregation members that are electricians? Even if they only advise they are a valuable resource.

Will other construction projects be happening? Are you willing to break through walls or make large sheet-rock holes?

Does your rig need (or will need) more than one DMX universe?

Do you need input from others in the church? (the stories I could tell of the 'art committee' and others) You may also find a larger budget if you are benefiting more of the mission.

What questions haven't been asked???

• Unknown said:
    Going back to controlling the house lights, I thought about using a system to control them using the remote trigger port on the element. I dont know though

If you decide to go the remote trigger port route, I recommend this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172755409166?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

You can set up your work light look(s) to be triggered with switches.

Edit: At the risk of losing a customer, the cheapest and simplest solution is to have an electrician install a switch in between the wall dimmer and the lights that disables the wall dimmer and connects the house light power input to the output of a DMX dimmer pack.

• what you have suggested in your edit is what we will likely do... thanks!
  • This is what we use. We have a separate house light dimmer pack (6 X 2400) The remote panel is wired inline with the DMX wire from the Ion console to the DMX splitter, and is mounted on the wall near the curtain control. You simply create a look on the main lighting console and press button 1-10 to save each look to a preset. When the Ion console is shut down, light control is automatically transferred to the 10 button remote. A non-tech person can press button 1-10 to choose from work lights, house lights, various stage looks- All without accessing the main console- so it can even be used as a backup control in case the main console dies. Perfect also for a situation where someone just needs general lighting for a meeting, etc.

www.fullcompass.com/.../140950-Doug-Fleenor-Designs-PRE10-A-POPO
Related