Attempting to connect OSCRFR. Can ping the tablet but can't connect the app.

Hi all

I'm having a little trouble and I'm sure you guys can help. Running Ion xp, Belkin n600 router and a Lenovo Business tablet.

The router is in DHCP mode. IP: 192.168.2.1 ,subnet mask 255.255.255.0.  Console has received the address of 192.168.2.3.   The tablet has received the address of 192.168.2.4.

In console settings wifi remote is tIcked as is UDP strings & OSC and set to TCP format for OSC 1.0

In show control setup String RX and TX are enabled.

I'm aware that the subnet mask for this kind of network should be 255.255.0.0.  but I am having trouble changing the settings on the router and I'm just testing on the 255.255.255.0 subnet mask for the moment.

The strange thing is the OSC app auto lists the consoles IP as 192.168.0.1.    

My networking knowledge is rudimentary bordering on dangerous. No doubt a few words from the wise can set me straight.

Much appreciate any all assistance

Bannon Rees

Venue Tech

BMEC

Bathurst

Australia

Parents
  • Bannon,

Which side of the router do you have the console plugged into?  What mode is the router in?  From your description of IP addresses it sounds like you have everything on the LAN side of the router.  This can work depending on the router.  

I usually put the console on the WAN side of the router and use ETC suggested IP addresses. 10.101.XX.101 (replace XX with the appropriate number for you console type). I then let the router determine the ip address of the wireless unit automatically.  They don't need to be in the same IP range as the console as long as you are not in bridged mode.  

The android app defaults to a 192.168.0.1 ip address but you must put in the actual address of the console.  There is no auto discovery system in place with our remote.

If you want to change as little as possible then just put the ip address of the console in the remote(192.168.2.3) and see if that works.

There is a complete walkthrough on our website

http://www.alienstagecraft.com/network_setup.html

Thanks

• Hi Andrew

Thanks for the speedy reply

I'm not at the console at the moment. But here's some detail.

I am indeed using the LAN side of the router in DHCP mode. Not sure if it's bridged or not will check that out soon. I Tried to use the WAN side of the router and wasn't able to ping the tablet. Error message of 10065 came up consistently.

I had previously tried to input the console IP in the remote without any luck. Your setup guide is very clear and straight forward and I"ve used that as my guide. I'll scour it again for anything I may have missed.

The console is in primary mode - no backup.

If I understand you correctly. Console in WAN port. The router can stay in DHCP and in subnet 255.255.255.0 , but unbridged. The console has static address and subnet 255.255.0.0. Input console address in OSCRFR.

Sounds simple enough I'll try again this afternoon.

Thanks for your time

Bannon
  • Hi Andrew

Thanks for the speedy reply

I'm not at the console at the moment. But here's some detail.

I am indeed using the LAN side of the router in DHCP mode. Not sure if it's bridged or not will check that out soon. I Tried to use the WAN side of the router and wasn't able to ping the tablet. Error message of 10065 came up consistently.

I had previously tried to input the console IP in the remote without any luck. Your setup guide is very clear and straight forward and I"ve used that as my guide. I'll scour it again for anything I may have missed.

The console is in primary mode - no backup.

If I understand you correctly. Console in WAN port. The router can stay in DHCP and in subnet 255.255.255.0 , but unbridged. The console has static address and subnet 255.255.0.0. Input console address in OSCRFR.

Sounds simple enough I'll try again this afternoon.

Thanks for your time

Bannon
Children
  • Hi Andrew et al

I'm still having trouble connecting OSCRFR to the console. I've done as the OSCRFR and ETC setup guides have suggested.

Single Ion in primary set to DHCP mode into WAN on the router(belkin n600). Router has received an address from the console which I can ping from the console. Lenovo Tab3 10, Android 6 has received an IP from the router.

I am not able to ping the tablet from the console (should I be able to? They are in different subnets) The remote has the console address added.

I'm pretty sure I have all the settings correct on all devices according to the setup guides from both ETC and OSCRFR. I'm not quite sure how to proceed from this point.

I have added the relevant setup screenshots below.

Question? Are there any known issues with Android 6 and/or Lenovo TAB3 10 tablet.
  • Can you ping the console from the tablet? That is the important bit. If the tablet can see the console it can initiate a connection. I don't see any setup problems in the pictures you have uploaded.
  • Hi

I have made a guide for users in the venue in which I run. This is sometimes for myself but intended for all users bringing in consoles etc.

The link is to my dropbox folder.

There are a great deal of smarter people on this forum than me but my 2cents would be

a) Put the router into static IP range. Easier longterm.
    b) There seems to be a difference in the router subnet & the Ion subnet. Both should be on the same.
    c) watch the subnet setting on the android wifi set up. The 16(255.255.0.0) or 24 (255.255.255.0) subnet option is the type of thing that will catch you out.

www.dropbox.com/.../ETC Ion IP Set up Draiocht Ver 5.pdf
  • Hi

I realise in my point B that the op has the set up via the WAN port. I read the IP info for the LAN port.
    Sorry if I have caused any confusion.

Eamon
  • This all depends on how you have your router setup. If you are in bridged mode your subnet masks should match. If you are in DHCP/NAT your subnet masks may not be the same. You are acting in separate subnets with a router in the middle. You have to set an appropriate subnet mask.
  • Thanks Eamon and Andrew

I'll look into it more later today.

I may have to go with a static attempt if it still doesn't work.

Eamon your point A above mentions a static range. Just for clarification in this context are the words static and range opposite in meaning?

Andrew. Bridge mode? Is this where you might have more than one router in the network? I'm only using one. Is there usually a tic a box option for bridge mode?

I'm beginning to realize my networking knowledge is woefully inadequate. Are their any resources you could point me at? Particularly in the world of entertainment?

Thanks guys much appreciate your help. Not quite there yet but I sense I'm getting closer. I may need to pick your brains a little further.

Bannon
  • Bannon,
    Networks are generally either static networks, where every device is set to an ip address manually, or dynamic networks, where there is a DHCP server that hands out ip addresses. Most networks are actually a blend of the two.

Bridged mode means the wireless router takes all the wired networking packets and repeats them over the wireless network. The wireless router is either acting as a "bridge" between the wired and wireless networks or creating it's own networks that happens to be wireless and is connected to a wired network. In the latter mode the router takes only the packets that have a destination on the wireless network and repeats them. I usually run my router in this mode.
    I would suggest looking for basic networking books. What you really want a firm understanding of is IP addresses, Gateways, and Subnet Mask settings. These are the basics that will allow you to create and diagnose networks of various types.
Related