Noob Question - EOS Nomad Fader Wing

Brand new to EOS Nomad, so please excuse the Noob question...

I have 21 channels working, 6 cues, no groups, no submasters.  6 cues is all I need.  I can sequence from one cue to the next on the PC.  I would like to have each cue show up on a separate fader on our ETC 1x20 USB fader wing attached to the Nomad PC.  The wing is powered up and says Electronic Theater Controls on the LCD screen, but no LED lights on the rockers are lit. Pushing buttons or moving faders on the 1x20 wing does nothing.

I have no idea how to assign anything in EOS Nomad to a fader on the USB fader wing, and searching online on how to do this for over a day has proven fruitless.  The Nomad is brand new and came with ZERO documentation or training (very sad of ETC to not supply a manual).  I was able to figure out address patching and creating cues from youtube.  But There's nothing out there on programming the ETC 1x20 USB fader wing from EOS Nomad.  Some of the ION and other controller videos talk about using a load button, but this wing does not have a load button.  What am I missing?

My objective is to have 6 faders, each acting as an intensity master for each of the 6 cues.  Real simple.  Bring the scene intensity up and down.  Maybe someday I'll graduate to post-grad work and learn how to clear the faders and reprogram them ;-)

Help & Thanks!

• on the 1x20 (or 2x10 / 2 x 20) fader wings, LOAD is accomplished by pressing both top and bottom bump buttons together.

Instead of writing a cue list in this scenario, you want a submaster. (A cue is a "look" in a sequence of looks; a sub is an individual look).

The faders can have a cue list loaded to each fader, and the fader/buttons act as Go/Stop.
    The faders can also have a submaster assigned to it (sub 1 to fader 1; sub 11 to fader 15).

Bring up your look (manually or playback the cue).
    hit: Record Sub 1 [Label] NameOfCue [Enter]
    hit: Sub 1 [LOAD] (press both bump buttons)
    The LCD Screen on the fader wing should show 1 and the Name.

Hit Sub Sub to see the list of recorded submasters.

However, I don't think the fader wing is fully connected. It should show (after the ETC name) numbers under each fader. If you press Fader Control on the Nomad (or the on-screen version of the facepanel) does the LCD strip change to Page 1, Page 2, Page 3 . . . . under each fader. This will prove the Nomad is seeing the fader wing.

Is the fader wing connected to both power (it is, obviously) and USB to the laptop?

as for the manual: go to the ETC website and you can download the Ion or Eos manual (and print out the relevant sections). The Nomad is just running the same software as the Ion/Eos, but the facepanel (your laptop) is different.

There is also a Help button on the "facepanel."

You can always phone ETC help. Very useful, good techs. They can walk you through the troubleshooting and specific questions about basic programming.

Andrew
  • Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the help - I really appreciate it.

I now have a sub defined for each cue, labelled, etc. All subs are visible in Nomad (sub sub). And yes, the fader wing is connected to power, and via USB to the EOS Nomad PC. I swapped the USB cables on the PC and the Nomad II works on all USB ports, but the fader wing channel LEDs only flash red, green nd then go out during power up, and the LCD panel then displays "Electronic Theater Controls" and does not go on to the next stage of whatever it is supposed to do - no matter what USB it's plugged into. So perhaps the fader wing is not talking with the PC, although the LCD display does go off when the PC USB powers off, so at some level they are communicating.

I'll call ETC tech support.
  • and when you say "PC", you mean "windows based", not just any "personal computer", which could also be a Mac?
  • Yes, it's a brand new Laptop w/Win 10, i7, 1TB SSD, 4K screen, big GPU, 16GB DDR4, etc.

I discovered that the fader wing works only if I start Nomad from the Launch shell and start as primary. If I start by clicking a file that I've saved then the fader wing does not work. But I'm good for now. Defined a bunch of subs, and everything works for what I need it to do. Yea!
  • ah, yes. the shell loads the drivers, so if you double click a file directly, the shell doesn't get launched
Related