Update Sub affects channels that weren't originally in the Sub

In the training vid it says update only edits channels that weren't in the sub originally, but for me it does affect them. Any reason for this?

• which video is this (preferably with a time, when this is mentioned)? Update will always only change stuff but not add things. to add you need to use Record.
  • Maybe i am confused but update update any manual data regardless of whether was in the Sub? I cannot recall it ever behaving differently. If you do not want manual data to update you have to use selective store.....
  • that should read update, updates all manual data
  • "Update will always only change stuff but not add things."

Sorry I meant to say that. That is what the video said too.

Unfortunately, for me on ETCnomad on my PC, [update] [sub ]actually records a manual value into a new channel that wasn't previously in that Sub. So it behaves the same as [record only]. It should not behave this way, according to both you and the training video.
  • The Update-function only works in the way it is described in the video, when the sub you want to update is active.

Say you have channel 1 @ 50 and it's the only active channel you have at the moment.
    You record it to sub 1 via [Record][Sub][1][Enter].

With channel 1 still @50 you set channel 2 @ 50 and press [Update][Sub][1][Enter].
    This will add channel 2 @ 50 to Sub 1. Sub 1 now contains channels 1 and 2 @ 50.

If you now press [Sneak][Enter] and put Sub 1 to full, you should see channels 1 and 2 @ 50 coming from the sub.
    This is because, when you updated, Sub 1 was not active and there was no selection made of what to update to Sub 1.

If you now (with the sub @ full) set channels 1 thru 3 @ 25 and press [Update][Sub], the CIA should show the recording target "Sub 1" and the channels that will be updated, in this case 1+2, as they are getting values from Sub 1 at the moment. You can then either press [Enter], as Sub 1 is the only target in the list, or append [1] to the command to sepcify further in case other targets would show up.

You have to be careful when updating a sub though, because it updates the channel values relative to the Subs intensity.
    If you put Sub 1 @ 50%, then set channels 1+2 @ 10% and press [Update][Sub][Enter], the intensities will be updated, so that when you put Sub 1 @ 50%, channels 1+2 will be @ 10%.
    This means, that the intensity-values actually stored in Sub 1 will be 20%.
    This is actually quite useful, but if it is not what you want, you should put the sub to full before updating.

As for the [Update]-function updating all manual values to a sub, when it's not active...
    It's probably a question of taste.
    Most of the times when you will be updating a Sub, you'll probably have it up, as you will make your changes from the current values as a starting point. If that's not the way you work you should make your changes in [Blind] or cautiously select the channels you want to update before doing so.
    The basic rule is: If your Sub is not shown as a target when you press [Update][Sub], you should be careful.

You could see [Update] as a version of [Record] that does not require a confirmation when altering a subs content.
    One could argue that this is kind of a bug though I guess...

• Im very confused with all this. A lot of things to remember to only make an update. So difficult it is to leave update action like Express or Expression???????
    Something is wrong when people prefer old softwares than the Eos software. Why to make more difficult? New software should be easier.
  • New software should not necessarily be easier. It should be different. There is no point in creating new software that is the same as old software. Those people that prefer Express or Expression will continue to use Express or Expression.

All you need to remember is (channels) [Update] [Sub] (sub number) [Enter]. Some people like using shortcuts such as just typing [Update] [Enter] but you're not obligated to do so.
  • John728 said:
    New software should not necessarily be easier. It should be different. There is no point in creating new software that is the same as old software.

Why different? why change something that works fine and easily? If fact, new software should bring easy tools to work, it should be transparent.

Now I have to teach my coworkers, and the general feeling that Eos is powerful, a good interface, some interesting tools like magic sheets, color, moving light functions...  but also hard to understand why easy commands now are more complicated.

now,there is not [release] now [snake][enter]

There is not the [hold] [hold] function (the best function) to pause and allow to finish the cueThere is not [clear] button into cue now is [gotoCue][0][enter] or [gotoCue][Out][enter]

Im trying to say that now we have to key more times to do the same, in my opinion this is one step back.

Also im with the learning mode= On, so, maybe in years all of this I will see as normal. Meaby my problem is not understand why ETC did these changes, or see the reason of these changes.

John728 said:
    Those people that prefer Express or Expression will continue to use Express or Expression.

of course im going to continue working with our expression. :)

King regards!!!!!! Thanks for your helpfully tips.

• I agree with you that in general fewer keystrokes are better. But not always. I've heard horror stories about people programming on the expression and they mistakenly hit release and lose hours of work. Having to hit enter prevents that type of thing from happening. I definitely would not want go to cue 0 enter or go to cue out enter to be one button press because that could black everything out. Ironically you mentioned hold hold to pause a cue but in Eos all you have to do is press stop/back - one button press.
  • I you hit only once release, you only set to background levels, selected channels. Only if you push two times release all manual data. For me its not a problem. But I understand you because you.

Related to GotoCue 0 or GotoCue out, its two keys, meaby if you are working with the desk, but now also working with Nomad, I have to do: [ctrl][G] + [O] so many key shortcuts.

Hold was one of the best features into express / expression series. 

[hold] pauses cueing, and you can either push [go] to continue the cue process to finish, or push [hold] a second time to leave finished the cue. so:

[hold][hold] stops and finish the cue. This function does not exist into Eos Series. (unless I don't know)

Also you can set 5 seconds to [clear] so if you regret, you can push [hold][hold]. This function can save your day ;).

.------------------------------------------.

Related to Update. I have been working with this and I notice this:

if I need to only modify existing channels into sub or cue, [update][sub][x] or  [update][subBumb]works

if I need only to add more channels into sub and not editing the existing values, [update][sub][x] or  [update][subBumb]works

And here is the problem:

If I need to edit values of exiting data, and add more channels, [update][sub][x] is NOT working properly, as I expect, because EOS only update me the previous existing data, and I think, in my opinion this is not good. To fix this I need to [alt][3] (select manual) [enter] and then [update]. Lost work time and pacience.

Regards!

• Re
    > If I need to edit values of exiting data, and add more channels, [update][sub][x] is NOT working properly, as I expect, > because EOS only update me the previous existing data, and I think, in my opinion this is not good.

You should just be pressing Record_Only sub x not Update. As the manual says

• [RecordOnly][Sub][5][Enter]-records the manual values of the current stage state to sub 5

As far as I can tell for subs the Record_Only button functions exactly the same as Update did on Express (that's based on what you've said in these posts as I've never used Express)
  • Mike A said:
    Re

You should just be pressing Record_Only sub x not Update. As the manual says

• [RecordOnly][Sub][5][Enter]-records the manual values of the current stage state to sub 5

As far as I can tell for subs the Record_Only button functions exactly the same as Update did on Express (that's based on what you've said in these posts as I've never used Express)

Ok,,, thats works!!!! :) Thanks a lot!

[record][record][subX][enter]

• sanfe said:

Related to GotoCue 0 or GotoCue out, its two keys, meaby if you are working with the desk, but now also working with Nomad, I have to do: [ctrl][G] + [O]so many key shortcuts.

Hold was one of the best features into express / expression series. 

[hold] pauses cueing, and you can either push [go] to continue the cue process to finish, or push [hold] a second time to leave finished the cue. so:

[hold][hold] stops and finish the cue. This function does not exist into Eos Series. (unless I don't know)

Also you can set 5 seconds to [clear] so if you regret, you can push [hold][hold]. This function can save your day ;).

Sorry, I misunderstood you. It's been a long time since I used an Expression.

While a cue is running:

[Stop/Back] stops it and the levels freeze in place.

If you then want to go straight to the end of the cue:

[Go To Cue] [Enter] will do so using Go To Cue Time in Setup.

[Assert] [Enter] will do so using Assert Time in Setup.

I have both of these set to 0.

I agree with you; it's very cumbersome to have to use modifier keys all the time. For this reason I bought an X-keys and assigned keystrokes like [Go To Cue] to single keys. I also assigned commands for which I didn't want to have to press [Enter] to single keystrokes. For example,

[At] [0] [Enter]

is one button press.

If you are using Nomad, any gaming keyboard or gaming laptop with macro keys will also work.

Also, you can make a magic sheet with objects that are assigned to commands.

For example, pressing a magic sheet object posts

[At] [0] [Enter]

to the command line.

• John728 said:
     Sorry, I misunderstood you. It's been a long time since I used an Expression.

While a cue is running:

[Stop/Back] stops it and the levels freeze in place.

If you then want to go straight to the end of the cue:

[Go To Cue] [Enter] will do so using Go To Cue Time in Setup.

[Assert] [Enter] will do so using Assert Time in Setup.

I have both of these set to 0. 

Imagine than your stage manager tell you to pause the cue 5, due to some mistake or problem. You pause the cue at 50% of finish time, pressing [stop/back]. Ok. Then they tell you to star the next cue (or another) (remember than you have cue 5 at 50%) so in this point, you can't finish cue 5. 

I remember that my friend  told me a keystroke: [Go To Cue][Next][Time][Enter], so, you may start the next cue in the desire point (cue 5 at 50% time) so its similar than [hold][hold]. 

John728 said:

I agree with you; it's very cumbersome to have to use modifier keys all the time. For this reason I bought an X-keys and assigned keystrokes like [Go To Cue] to single keys. I also assigned commands for which I didn't want to have to press [Enter] to single keystrokes. For example,

[At] [0] [Enter]

is one button press.

If you are using Nomad, any gaming keyboard or gaming laptop with macro keys will also work.

Also, you can make a magic sheet with objects that are assigned to commands.

I used some buttons, with macros, Intensity, color and focus palettes... and now, in combination with a nanoKorg2 I have 8 faders and some assignable keys.

Thanks you for the tips!

Related