Bug: Copying MS objects with zero increment doesn't respect start channel

In the MS layout tab, I set the target channel to 458 and increment to 0, because I want to create a bunch of MS objects for Channel 458. Instead of working, it sets the object target to the same channel number as the copied object.

It works fine if the increment is not 0.

Parents Reply Children
  • Bartfly said:
    Increment is zero?
    So it will only copy in increments of zero. Copied object, + 0 = copied object
    I would expect this is expected, maybe just make the copied object 458 to start with?

What is expected is for the objects to be numbered based off of the number next to "Start:"

That's how it works when the Start number is not set to 0.

Bartfly said:

Or create a load of randomly numbered objects and select all, renumber.

That's what I've been doing but it takes a while. I have hundreds of MS objects and they are crammed very tightly together. Unfortunately, the selection of an object doesn't respect the border of the object so I keep selecting the wrong object because the selection rectangles overlap.
  • Maybe you're right, I don't know.
    Not knowing what you're after though I would still suggest :-

"maybe just make the copied object 458 to begin with"

Assuming you want too make arrays, with the spacing so as not to cause your other issue?
    (I'm guessing)
  • Bartfly said:

"maybe just make the copied object 458 to begin with"

Assuming you want too make arrays, with the spacing so as not to cause your other issue?
    (I'm guessing)

That wouldn't make sense because then the object I'm copying from will be the wrong channel.

And I'm not making arrays.

• I think what Bartfly was getting at was, whilst it would be an extra step, if you copied the original item once set it to 458 and then did the array copy it would achieve what you seemed to be saying you wanted.

But I suppose if you are saying you want to do single copy pastes with the resultant object set not to be the same as the one you copied from then, no its not going to work.

You could also just select all your copies and then enter the channel number once for all of them.

I suspect the behaviour you've observed is deliberate as otherwise there would be no way of saying when I copy something don't change the channel number in the copy.
  • Actually what I've been doing is multiple passes of copying with increment set to 1 and resetting the start number after each pass. This gives me multiples of each number.

"You could also just select all your copies and then enter the channel number once for all of them. " That's impossible - they are just spaced too close to other objects.

"I suspect the behaviour you've observed is deliberate as otherwise there would be no way of saying when I copy something don't change the channel number in the copy." That makes a lot of sense - it's just unexpected because it doesn't fit the pattern. I would have expected a check box to uncheck if I wanted to keep the same number as the copied object.
Related