Colorsource CYC

We just placed an order for the Colorsource CYCs and I've been going over the specs in preparation and so naturally, I am now more confused.

1) My first question is why the specs state that you should never run a 7-channel fixture in 7-channel Direct mode. Only use the RGB modes or 1-channel mode b/c those are "Calibrated modes". . . . That's for squares without an EOS console, right? . . . Or is there a secret colour mixing thing in the units?

2) What's the little "D" in the Fixture Profile - 5ch mode button mean?

C) and what is the deal with firmware updates?

The UpdaterAtor seems like a real pain, but I have no idea how frequent an update is generated for the units.

and what are we really updating?

Thanks for any help!

• 1) i found the note "Direct mode on the ColorSource CYC is not a calibrated mode. As a result, you may see discrepancies in color between fixtures. ETC recommends operating in one of the calibrated modes" in the CYC manual"
    is this what you're referring to when you say the spec states that you should never run in seven channel mode?

2) i think it marks the fixtures Default mode. not sure though.

C) what do you dislike about Updaterator? firmware updates come whenever they're needed. depending how long a fixture has been on the market there might be an update a year apart or there might be an update after 3 month.
  • 1) Yes. That is exactly what I was referring to. . . . What does it mean? Why have 5 colours if you only use 3 of them?

C) I have these units going onto a dead-hung pipe. Updating the firmware would be a pain.
    Constantly running the software to see if maybe there is an update....
    Running a 100' DMX line down to the office desktop....
    and why does my toaster need to update its software to make toast?

I figured at best, it was updating colour parameters... but if I'm running in a direct mode, that's not a feature I'd need.
    I feel the best thing to do would be to never update the OS unless someone can offer up a reason why I should.
  • "ETC recommends" and "ETC says to never use that mode" is a bit different, don't you agree?

the advantage of the calibrated modes is that with those, ETC makes sure that every fixture that leaves the factory shows exactly the same color when color mixing. this is to compensate for LED components that are always slightly different in power and color.

how do you connect your cycs to the console? ETC gateways? regular DMX? are there DMX-Splitters?

provided that there is straight DMX or an ETC gateway but no DMX-splitter, you can use your Eos(?) console to use updaterator. or if you have an ETC gadget you can use a laptop with updaterator to update. or if you have an ETC gateway and a laptop you can update like this.

this is exactly the reason for updaterator so you can deliver a firmware update through the DMX line.

no one says you need to update, but you will get new features or improved features if you do. an LED fixtures is a little but more complicated than a toaster... ;)
  • My issue is that if ETC "makes sure that every fixture that leaves the factory shows exactly the same color when color mixing", that would imply that 7-channel mode is chaotic & unpredictable. That particular choice of words instils fear.

and my house has a hard-wired opto distributing an XLR5 to each electric. . . . but I did not realise my IonXE acted as its own Updaterator.

(http://www.pathwayconnect.com/index.php/products/edin-interface-modules/67-1009-dmx-rdm-splitter )

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate it.

The Update all from a master unit is amazing.

but this is one instance where I'd love to be able to plug in a USB stick to make my life easier.

Thanks for the info!

• updaterator will not work through a dmx splitter or through a non-ETC gateway.
  • When you place a ColorSource Cyc in direct mode you are omitting the calibration processes which notably includes the calculations for "drooping". This is the malady of all LED's which leads to the efficiency of an LED to decline the longer current passes through it. The calibration that we do allows us to calculate this drooping effect and put in methods that mean when you choose a colour, after an hour it will still be that same colour. 7 channel mode (Direct) isn't so much chaotic and unpredictable, rather that every LED is different and even when we know and have made an algorithm that predicts the drooping effect, each LED needs to be calibrated for this algorithm to work and within this mode, none of this is done.

5 Channel mode is advised because this "drooping" calibration process is done and on top of that many calculations to allow you to mix colour in a familiar Red, Green, Blue method whilst still using the 5 different often confusing colours we use to fill out the colour spectrum and create a more fuller light. Whilst we offer Direct mode it is rarely recommended as these calculations are not done leaving the weight of knowledge, understanding and processing of colour correction and calibration for LED 's on the users shoulders.

When you are updating the fixture you are updating the firmware which typically updates bugs we have found and need to remedy as well as adding new features. With each update there are always release notes released describing the bugs and features we have included. Whether you update your fixtures is your prerogative, we rarely advice doing this during a production and as such it is at your convenience at an opportune moment. If though you do have problems with your fixtures it might possibly be due to a bug we have previously found and as such we would advice rolling to the latest firmware so that you are up to date and we can offer the best support.

Related