Capture Sweden, EOS and CSV Datas

I link her a post from the Facebook Group Capture Design.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/capturedesignvisualisation/permalink/1586565094712962/?comment_id=1586667321369406&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R1%22%7D
(I hope it works)

In this the question was, why can't Capture read CSV from EOS Console.
Capture says, the CSV is not correct.
Have anybody a Solution?

Parents
  • Hi :)
    I join in...
    To give further informations: ( Because i am not sure if anybody who is not member of the facebook group will be able to see the post):
    I tried to import a CSV from ETC eos for patch data, resafed it after exporting with a editor in UTF-8 code as capture requires...this did not help.
    Following Error: The file does not seem to contain more than 2 or more lines.

I talked with Lars from capture further, he told me, that the exported file from Eos isn´t a valid CSV file as it has two blocks of data with different column sets.

So i have no idea, how a valid CSV file should be or not. But is it correct that the eos one isn´t valid? And if so: Why and will there be a solution for that?

Thanks in advance :)

Julian

• I have no experience with Capture, but I would try this:
    - On Eos CSV Export, deselect all data types except Patch. This gives you a CSV file that has nothing but the Patch section.
    - Use a text editor to compare this CSV file with a patch file that was created by Capture
    - I guess you simply have to delete everything except the lines between the "START_CHANNELS" and "END_CHANNELS" keywords

Hans
  • Thanks Hans, i will give this a try tomorrow.

But it does not answered my question if the exported CVS files from eos are valid or not!?

• i'm not sure if CSV is a standardized and if so how detailed the definition is.

in the Eos-csv it is true that there are multiple sets of data. each block has its own column definition. you can't define patch and content of cues, or presets, ... with the same set of columns, so each section of the file gets its own column definition and thus width. i'm pretty sure the Eos-csv is just multiple Lars-csv within one file.

this mix of columns makes it a handy export because you only need one file. there are other csv export in eos like for Fast Focus Pro. that produces hundreds and hundreds of files.

so while i'm no computer expert and can't say anything about the csv standard i know that there are programs that specifically work with the current eos csv export. so it looks to me that it would be possible to work with the data as it currently is exported.

but as i said i'm a console programmer not a computer programmer. my knowledge ends with html and javascript ;)
  • Its a perfectly valid CSV file, in the sense you can open it in something like excel that can read CSVs.

A CSV file is nothing more than some fields separated by commas.

A different question is, is data in the file the data that Capture would like in the csv files it can import. And you kind of already know the answer to that, in that Capture didn't like the full file, which contains all your cues etc.

As Hans said, telling EOS to only export patches is a good start but there is no particular reason why the etc file will have the columns in the same order as Capture expects or that it wont have section headings.

Its not like there is a "standard" that is can be used. Your online banking will download a CSV that's a valid CSV but isn't going to make a lot of sense to Capture if you imported it.
  • From the Capture manual

-----8<------

CSV files are text files with information structured in a spreadsheet-like manner using (typically) commas as column dividers and line breaks as row dividers. Because they are text files they can be opened and modi ed in text editors such as TextEdit or Notepad, but they are more typically produced an consumed by spreadsheet applications such as Numbers or Excel.

Capture attempts to configure itself automatically based on the headers Capture uses itself when using the Export Data tool, but also based on headers produced by other popular softwares, but because there is not telling what columns will be present in a CSV le or what headers they might have it may be necessary to manually map some columns from the CSV le to Capture xture properties. This is done in the File column mapping section.

-----8<------

So you might need to edit the column headers of the patch bit
    CHANNEL FIXTURE_TYPE ADDRESS

to match what capture wants

and possible remove the
    START_CHANNELS
    line completely as the chances are Capture treats the first line as the headings.

Open the CSV in excel if you have it and edit it there and save as csv.
  • From the Capture manual

-----8<------

CSV files are text files with information structured in a spreadsheet-like manner using (typically) commas as column dividers and line breaks as row dividers. Because they are text files they can be opened and modi ed in text editors such as TextEdit or Notepad, but they are more typically produced an consumed by spreadsheet applications such as Numbers or Excel.

Capture attempts to configure itself automatically based on the headers Capture uses itself when using the Export Data tool, but also based on headers produced by other popular softwares, but because there is not telling what columns will be present in a CSV le or what headers they might have it may be necessary to manually map some columns from the CSV le to Capture xture properties. This is done in the File column mapping section.

-----8<------

So you might need to edit the column headers of the patch bit
    CHANNEL FIXTURE_TYPE ADDRESS

to match what capture wants

and possible remove the
    START_CHANNELS
    line completely as the chances are Capture treats the first line as the headings.

Open the CSV in excel if you have it and edit it there and save as csv.
Children
No Data
Related