ARFR Android remote setup

Hi all, 

I see this is a topic that has already been brought up and I have tried following any methods mentioned but still I cannot connect the app to the desk to give commands. 

Can anyone tell me if there is an official step by step on how to set up both App & router. IP , Gateway addresses that the router might need to be set too? DHCP on or off on both App & Router & Ion? 

I have also installed CUE1 but same no connection. Which tells me its a router problem?

What I have done so far is in app given it the same IP address & display name as the Ions. Connected the router to port one(Online) on Ion and into one of the LAN ports on router.  Connected phone to the router and made sure Ion RFR enabled in desk settings and Wifi remote ON in Network settings.

Screen shot below of how far I got but still states remote disconnected.

Ion Xe running latest,

Any help much appreciated.

Parents
  • Hi Krispy

I can feel your pain in this dept.

I am inserting a link below to a dropbox file. This is a PDF with clear enough guidelines for connecting the arfr/irfr and similar to my main house console.
    The IP's are standard ETC layout for the Ion range.

To answer the various issues in your post.

To clarify, there are much better people on here with a better knowledge of networking etc. The below is what I have educated myself poorly to do.

The two ports on the desk are intended to be a) one for connecting to ETC infrastructure and the other b) to enable (easier) connection to a router/Wireless Access Point.

The port with the IP setting of 192.168.***.*** might be the better point to start with.

Shell Settings:
    a) In the shell settings, check the IP address's of your respective ports. One port is set to range of 192.168.***.*** and the other is defaulted to 10.101.***.***. It kinda "doesn't" matter which you use as long as you keep with in the ranges etc. There are some good housekeeping things to abide by for later use but best to get it up and going first.

b) Look at your subnet settings in the shell ( think like a universe in DMX) . I can only guess as to your set up but best to set it to 255.255.0.0. This means that you must/can only change the last 2 x set of octet of the IP address. For now, it would be best to only change the last octet of the IP address in order to minimise confusion.
    Again, depending on the router set up, this might be a bum steer and you may need to change the subnet to 255.255.255.0.

On your Iphone, this is noted as subnet. In your IPhone wifi settings when connecting to the desk, you must be on the same subnet as the router otherwise this will not work.

On your Android, the subnet is denoted by number - 8/16/24 - reference to 8bit. Use the prefix of 16 to denote a subnet of 255.255.0.0 or 24 to denote 255.255.255.0

c) The gateway is often the router IP. Check your manual or use About in the CIA tab to see what is the default and stick with it!

d) Turn off the DHCP option in the shell. To me, best set to static. Easier to fix a range of numbers to use.

General:
    a) I have my own router set to static IP in a fixed range of 10.100.***.***. within its setup. I would normally turn off DHCP in the router. This is one way around setting your IP range.

b) Each and every unit on your network needs a different IP address. If remotes and consoles are set to the same IP address, conflict will occur. Think of the postman only delivering mail to the one house whereas you want the mail delivered to the whole street.
    E.g. your console is 10.100.101.100, then set your your remote to be 10.100.101.102 etc - this can be any number between 1-254 as long as not another fixed number.

Depending on your router etc, it "might" be easier to use the ethernet port with the 192.168.***.*** settings

I have had to educate myself and I am sure some of methodology is flawed with the usual half knowledge that we all possess.

If you are looking for some good guidance on networking, have a look at Eli the Computer Guy on his Youtube Channel. Not intended to be a plug, I just found his videos quite clear and logical.

The above is not intending to be patronising (if that tone is detected) but I am unsure what is your networking level of knowledge not that mine is much higher!

Hope this helps

Eamon

Link to my set up:
    www.dropbox.com/.../ETC Ion IP Set up Draiocht Ver 5.pdf
  • Eamon I can't stress how helpful this will be, thank you for taking the the time to explain it all and will report back after the weekend.

Thanks again!
  • Apologies for reopening this topic, But if anyone else can tell me if they are having problems running app through the latest Android 8 Oreo. I can easily connect older Android systems to the app but of course not my own daily driver . I have completely duplicated all wifi settings bar changing it's static IP. The phone is a one plus 3t running oxygen os which is the closest to stock Android as it gets. Previous phone of the same brand connects fine. So it only leaves me to believe it's either some behind the scenes wifi setting in built orrrr this app isn't getting on great with 8.0?

Any input appreciated.

Ion xe running 2.7 beta.
  • Hello,

Can you try putting your device into airplane or disabling mobile data? I haven't had issues with my 8.1 device in the current release but while I was running beta code at one point I had to do that to connect. It's worth a try.

Thank you,
  • Will give it a bash Sasha and let you know. It was the same with the last Ion firmware too.

Reply Children
No Data
Related