Need recommendations: cue list per set vs. single cue list

So I just started a sitcom and I want to have a "day base look" and "night base look" per set. On the pilot I recorded them all as cues in a single cue list because it was easier. I had worked with Jason Lord and he does one cue list per set and I'm thinking about doing that. I'd like to know what your guys' experiences have been and if you have any advice.

Cue list by zone advantages:

Easy to bring up or kill one set at a time - they often want more than one set lit at a time

[Update] automatically sends data to the right cue list

[go to cue] 4/1 [enter] is slightly easier than [group] 4 [recall from] [cue] 4 [enter] - although I plan to record each set into its own group.

Single cue list advantages:

A single cue list puts all your cues in one PSD window.

[Update] only works on one cue list at a time

I've used multiple cue lists in the past and really screwed myself. There's a lot of counterintuitive, misleading, and dangerous stuff about multiple cue lists. Like how simply unloading a fader can black out the whole set.  Or the time when I merged a cue from another cue list on another show file into List 1, it tracked in zero values, and when I moved it to another cue list the zero values remained and screwed up the set where first unit was shooting. This deserves its own topic.

And please don't say "Whatever works for you." I can't decide.

Parents
  • Whatever works for you.

I like the idea of multiple cue lists for the sake of organisation.
    You can load them onto Faders instead of the master stack so you can access both cue lists at the same time. You can't do that with a single cue list.
    I've learnt to use Goto Q 11/0 instead of Goto Q 0 or Out. but you can also use GotoQ0+"Load" (Play+Back on faders)
  • Whatever works for you.

I like the idea of multiple cue lists for the sake of organisation.
    You can load them onto Faders instead of the master stack so you can access both cue lists at the same time. You can't do that with a single cue list.
    I've learnt to use Goto Q 11/0 instead of Goto Q 0 or Out. but you can also use GotoQ0+"Load" (Play+Back on faders)
Children
No Data
Related