flashing bumps

Would like to know about this:

When I bring up a submaster the led flashes and continues to flash after I bring it down until I press the bump and it goes back solid. I've never been able to figure out all the settings and exactly what they do on a sub but I have tried most of them and that does not seem to go away. I also can't get them to change a submaster bump to flash; ie press it and whatever is on that sub activates until releasing the bump.

Doesn't seem to matter if it is set for hold release times 0 or 1:99 minutes. the only way anything comes up or goes down with a submaster is bringing up and down the fader.

And speaking of times whatever times I set manually bringing up and down the sub the content does exactly what the fader does; bring it up fast content activates fast. bring it up slow content activates slow. So sub has channel 1, a S4 par on it. Bring up sub 1 slowly the par will fade up slow. Bring up the sub fast and the par will fade up fast.

I'm sure I am completely misunderstanding the timing part. As I read it looks like if I put in 30 seconds up and 30 seconds down when I bring up or down the fader fast the output will happen in 30 seconds. The par will fade up or down in 30 seconds, no matter how fast the fader is moved. Like a cue timing.

Any insight would be appreciated and are there any videos out there about this specific post?

Parents
  • the timing applies only to the button, not the fader.

having stuff active while you keep the button pressed should be default behaviour.
    what's the content of your sub? only intensities? are there also NPs? are there effects?
  • Timing also only applies to Proportional Master submasters, not Intensity Master subs.

On Intensity Master subs, "Bump" & "Mark NPs" buttons do the same thing and timing affects only the Marking time.

Check out the video learning series on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=etc+ion+submasters

• I was possibly using Imasters for timing so will go back to that as Prop. and try it.

So a sub that is running intensity cannot be bumped on and off "flash"?

I watched the vids however nothing shown regarding the blinking leds and some were done on an EOS which I think don't have them.

I did find one interesting thing in two of the vids; same thing however in both. A color look was recorded to a sub. as the second example. When it was raised and lowered the look appeared to be only doing intensity. I thought default recording a sub puts it in Prop which I thought should show the colors scrolling with the fader up and down. Their third example was using movers and they did move with the fader when it was in prop mode.
    In those vids that used an Element I don't remember seeing any of the green leds blinking. So that's still boggling my mind on my ION.

it's funny but when I load the same event onto an Element the bumps flash and green leds don't blink.
  • Maybe the following from the manual will clarify what's going on,  I dont think the comment about only applying to proportional is the complete picture.

Using Bump Button Timing With Submasters

Each submaster bump can have three different timing values: Upfade, Dwell, and Downfade (see below). The default timing is set so that the bump functions as an “on” flash key for additive submasters and an “off” flash key for inhibitive submasters. Effects on submasters will follow submaster timing, unless timing has been placed in the effect itself

The three timing values are:

• Upfade time - this is the time for the submaster to fade from its home position to its target position (0 to Full if additive, Full to 0 if inhibitive). The default time is 0.

• Dwell time - this is the time the submaster look will hold before starting the downfade. This can be set to a specified time, or to “Hold” or “Manual”. “H old” time maintains the submaster values until the bump is pressed a second time. “Manual” time applies the submaster values only as long as the bump is held. The default is “Manual”.

• Downfadetime-thisisthetimeforthesubmastertofadefromitstargetpositiontoitshome position. The default time is 0.

At any time, the potentiometer can be used to manually override fade progression or a submaster triggered with time.

And about the flashing LED

On fader wings, when a submaster bump LED is blinking, it means that the submaster must be homed due to either changes to its content or to its mode. In either case, reset the submaster by dropping it to zero and the moving it back to the desired position. Inhibitive submasters (see below) that are blinking must be homed to 100% rather than zero. The LED will also blink when the submaster is in a “Held” state via bump button timing

The first part of that occurs when the fader is in a position and then something else on the desk takes control of the fixture and changes its value,  the fader is then not representing the actual values.

• MikeA
    Thank you for this info. For now I want to just stay at the simple one rather than subs with movers and led's because I have a feeling what is going on will apply to all of my subs. Simple meaning: subs that only have conventional fixtures; tungsten pars, on them.
    The subs also are all set at additive.
    And indirectly asking, Yes I am using wings because it's an ION. No wing on the Element that does not have this behavior.
    1) When I bring up a sub with those pars on it the green light starts flashing and keeps flashing even when the sub is down. The only way to stop it is to click the bump. So the only thing that has changed in those cases is the intensity was raised by the sub.
    2) When I stated: So a sub that is running intensity cannot be bumped on and off "flash"? those very subs that are running additive and intensity will not flash with the bumps but they do cause the green led to flash when the handle is raised and won't stop until tapping the bump when the handle is down. Therefore I was wondering if they don't bump because they are set to intensity.
    3) The timing is set to 0 and 0 and didn't matter if I set center value to hold or man or any time or if I set the times to anything over 0, the bump would not flash.
    I am not at the venue yet so still need to do some more testing based on these replies and confirm some info., which is tonight.
  • So I did some quick stuff tonight as I had limited time and discovered so far that with any of my subs I had to have them set to Proportional and the reset 0 set to on in order to keep the led from flashing and the bumps to switch them on and off. In order to keep the look up it needed to be set on Hold, otherwise setting to Man works it like a flash button.
Reply Children
No Data
Related