Ion v2.7.2 Operations Manual is not available

From the 2.7.2 release note:

Documentation
• For Eos Ti®, Eos®, Gio®, Gio @ 5®, Ion Xe™, and Element 2™:
- Eos Family v2.7.2 Operations Manual Revision A
• For Ion®:
- Ion v2.7.2 Operations Manual Revision A

I can't find the Ion 2.7.2 manual. I've looked on the site and the most recent Ion manual available is 2.0.0.

Please upload one and provide a link.

• The link you provided is for:

Eos Family
    (Eos Ti, Eos, Gio, Gio @5, Ion Xe, Ion Xe 20, and Element 2)
    Operations Manual
    Version 2.7.2
  • I'm not sure what you're asking....
    Are you asking for an current "Ion" manual as opposed to all EOS based systems manual?
    Or just wondering why the last "Ion" manual is 2.0?

Your problem is either the "Ion" has been moved to Legacy or ETC's philosophy of not updating the manual, but just releasing Supplements until 2.7.

Here is all of the documentation for the Legacy Ion: www.etcconnect.com/.../Documentation.aspx
  • Wuz314159 said:
    Are you asking for an current "Ion" manual as opposed to all EOS based systems manual?

Yes.

This has nothing to do with the Ion being "legacy" or ETC's not updating the manual between 2.0 and 2.7.

As stated above, the software release note for Eos 2.7.2 says that the current documentation is Ion v2.7.2 Operations Manual Revision A.

This file is not available via the link you provided.

I'm not asking for anyone to provide a link to where the file would be if ETC had uploaded it. I'm asking for ETC to upload the file, then let us know.

• Hi John,

I think the point is there isn’t one. As far as I’m aware there hasn’t been a separate manual for Ion for quite a long time.

Ion is an Eos-family console. This may be a mistake in the release notes.

Cheers

Dan

• Hi Dustin

thanks for the link.

While I never liked the previous style of amending the manual (the instruction changes were not easily inserted into the existing manual), what is the thought process for manual changes going forward? I have yet to print out the 2.7.0 manual, but if the new 2.7.2 manual is full and complete, I'll print that one out instead.

But for the next software change, do I need to print out the full manual again, or will it be easier to just print the relevant (changed) chapters? will there be a list provided of what needs to change/has changed in the manual?

Thanks.
    Andrew
  • John728 said:

As stated above, the software release note for Eos 2.7.2 says that the current documentation is Ion v2.7.2 Operations Manual Revision A.

OK.

So the problem is that it says the current documentation for Ion is "Ion v2.7.2..."

The current documentation for Ion is actually "EOS Family v2.7.2".

There is no such thing as Ion v2.7.2.

I feel as if ETC may have jumped the gun in turning Ion into a Legacy product in some places, while it can still run the latest version of EOS.

ETC should correct the Release Notes to state the Current Operations Manual for Ion is EOS Family v2.7.2.

• Wuz314159 said:
    I feel as if ETC may have jumped the gun in turning Ion into a Legacy product in some places, while it can still run the latest version of EOS.

Ion is a legacy product. This has no bearing on whether it still functions or receives updates. Legacy simply means it is no longer manufactured and may have been superseded. In this case Ion Xe is the current product, just as Eos classic is considered Legacy.

Unfortunately much of the market relates to Ion as a different thing, even though it is simply a console in the Eos-family just as Gio is.

Cheers

Dan

• dsmurfin said:

Ion is a legacy product. This has no bearing on whether it still functions or receives updates. Legacy simply means it is no longer manufactured and may have been superseded.

I only meant that the hardware is Legacy, but the software is not Legacy.

That causes confusion.

• The Ion manual should also be available in Tab 100 on Ion (legacy) consoles.

And for posterity here's the Element (legacy) link: 

• There was an error and the Ion v2.7.2 manual is not displaying on the Ion documentation page. It is on the website though. 

http://www.etcconnect.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=10737495177

Sorry for the confusion! I am working with our web team to get this fixed. 

• Hi Ginger

I posted this earlier in the thread, but haven't seen an answer:

While I never liked the previous style of Supplimenting the manual (the instruction changes were not easily inserted into the existing manual), what is the thought process for manual changes going forward? I have yet to print out the 2.7.0 manual, but if the new 2.7.2 manual is full and complete, I'll print that one out instead.

But for the next software change (2.7.3), do I need to print out the full manual again, or will it be easier to just print the relevant (changed) chapters?
    will there be a list provided of what needs to change/has changed in the manual

Thanks

Andrew
  • Hi Andrew,

Sorry, I must have missed your question. I apologize for that!
    Currently there is a What's New topic in the emanual that links to new/updated topics for the current version. That works well for the emanual because it only displays one topic at a time. I had thought that might be confusing in the pdf since multiple topics can display on a page.
    But if it would be useful to include that in the pdf, I can certainly do that going forward. I'll work on creating a good format for that in print.

The manual did have some major changes between the 2.0 and the 2.7.0 versions. The 2.7.2 is the full and complete version. I think you would be fine to print that version.
  • gswart said:
    Currently there is a What's New topic in the emanual that links to new/updated topics for the current version. That works well for the emanual because it only displays one topic at a time. I had thought that might be confusing in the pdf since multiple topics can display on a page.
    But if it would be useful to include that in the pdf, I can certainly do that going forward.

Please do. It's not at all confusing to have a "What's new" section.

I suggest you never print any manuals. Viewing a pdf on a computer means you can search text and it doesn't involve wasting paper.

• always happy to not waste paper. However, my technicians don't have access to a computer in the lighting booths; I'm not sure I want to buy tablets/iPads to access the manual in each booth; I'm old school and like paper manuals; computers crash, batteries die, WIFI can fail; paper just sits there and you can mark it up . . .

Yeah, I'm just old school.
Related