Gio @5 is missing my keystrokes

Hi,

At first I thought it was me, but it's happening way too much where the @5 misses my keystrokes. 

For example: An LD asks me to kill channels 201 thru 203.  I type it in and the whole set goes dark.  I look at my command line and it says 20 thru 203 Out.  Undo.. I type it again.

And it's not my hands, fat fingers or potato chip crumbs stuck in the keys.

I reached out to other @5 owners and I'm not the only one this is happening too.  I'm bringing it up here because it's making it very difficult to trust the commands I'm typing in.  Having used an Ion and Gio over the past decade I've never had a problem with keystrokes.  Well not since ETC changed the original keycaps from flat to curved.

If there's a way to investigate this I'm up for suggestions.  I can email my showfile or logs if that would help.

Thanks,
Jason

• I agree with Jason's description of the @5 missing keystrokes. I mostly notice it with a simple [Enter] but also on double-tap keys like [Address]. I have tinkered with the timings settings to no avail. I too have had great experiences with Legacy Ions and Gios. I am also prepared to send Logs. Would the current 2.7 "live" logs be sufficient or do we need the Exit to Shell logs? (Exiting to the Shell would be tough for me to justify mid show.) Lastly, this behavior has been consistent throughout the various softwares since the @5's release.
    Thanks,
    Matt
    @5
  • This has happened to me on every @5 I've touched.
  • As a counter to this, as someone who has used Cherry MX Reds (or Zealio brand keyswitches with similar action to MX Reds), on all of my keyboards for the past 3 years, I haven't run into this problem as much as many people have complained about it.

I believe this to be a muscle memory thing that will take some getting used to. Non enhanced Tis, non enhanced Gios, and original programming wings all had super heavy, mushy switches, which are quite the opposite of what are in the consoles now. (These switches were custom, IIRC).

MX Reds have a 2mm actuation point and a 45g actuation force, which is considerably lighter than previous generation facepanels. Additionally, previous generation facepanels had switches with a tactile bump at the actuation point, so you knew when your key actuating, MX Reds are linear switches with no bump, which makes it much harder to know exactly when you've actuated a key. (IIRC, Ion Classics and Eos Classics had Cherry MX Blacks which were 60g actuation switches with no tactile feedback, like the MX Reds; the difference being the 15g actuation force difference, which is actually quite a bit).

Jumping between consoles makes this harder, because you always have to be aware of how hard you're pressing each key, and whether it's being captured or not.

This is why, in my personal opinion, lots of people seem to have problems with the updated facepanels.

• A programmer should never have to think about "Am I hitting this key correctly?", not ever. If I press [Enter] on the console and it doesn't register, that's problem. Having to monitor the command line because I can't trust the consoles keys is a major problem. I know a Hog programmer that bashes on his keys until they break off, I'm not one of those kinds of typers.

This isn't an issue of seasoned programmers not knowing how to type. As far as I can tell this is a defect in the @5 that I hope can be addressed in a firmware update.
  • Being a pretty fast typer, I have a similar problem, noticed particularly on the Ion XE with many (seemingly random) keystrokes missed. I patched a show on a classic Eos yesterday without incident.
  • We retired an old EOS classic and got a brand new Gio. I feel like a complete loser now because I miss keystrokes. Especially if its long numbers with double tap numbers like 1000, 1001, 1002... Im not happy about it at all

• Yep having the same problem on a new Gio with cherry keys and Ion XE.

Last week flashing out a rig some wheel event is stopping the next selection, here I sneaked out channel 207 (after wheeling it up and moving the scroller encoder) I then tried to select 721 and the wheel event stopped the selection after 7.

I'm using 2.6.4.

• On our Classic EOS, I noticed that the command line stated lagging around September of last year. I'm not sure if it was caused by the new software (2.6.1 maybe?) or the fact that we upgraded two of the external monitors to 1920x1080 resolution at that time.

It doesn't sound like I'm having as much of a problem as the @5 users, but I can usually out-type the console- it doesn't usually drop keystrokes, just a slight delay in them showing up on the command line.

Really hoping that this gets addressed on the new Ti hardware as well.

-Todd

• Fair enough - I somehow missed that support article when buying the new monitors. Thanks for pointing it out.

• I am reading all these comments and wonder what ETC is doing about this issue. Lots of confirmations but haven't seen anything indicating that at all. I just purchased an XE, which I read is included in this issue and am very concerned about this issue along with many other issues that seem to be showing up regarding the new consoles. I took the training class last week and experienced three issues on the training console at that time. One (a pop up display window would not close after exiting the particular screen) was addressed as a known bug, one (hold down Fader Page and enter a number to change pages but nothing happened.) was sent off to the techs and the other one not addressed at all other than a few head scratches. It had to do with not being able to select colors in the color picker. Click and no response at all. Happened twice in the 4 days.

• Hi All,

As Harrison mentions, the feel and actuation of the Cherry keys are very different from the custom "membrane" backlit keys that released originally with Ti and Gio. The point of actuation, force required and reset of the switch are drastically different. Particularly on double presses this is most evident on the distance the Cherry keys must be released vs the previous design.

If you think you have experienced any missed key behavior please forward your logs and estimated time the issue occurred to our technical services department so we can investigate, logs generated from within the Eos app are fine.

Thanks,

Matt

• Matt see image from diagonals tab, something in the sneaking of a channel is stopping the next selection.

I don't mind pulling logs but feel this something test should be looking at.

Select a channel with a scroller, move the scroller 10 frames or so sneak (maybe with default 5 sec) quickly select another 3 digit channel and look at Tab 99.

Having the same problem on ion XE and new Gio.

• Hey Nick,

We are actively looking at that, the details you provided are very helpful.

Matt

Related