Our studio has been running by ethernet converted to 5 pin DMX. Now I want to start adding ethernet fixtures Source 4wards).

Our studio has been running by ethernet converted to 5 pin DMX. Now I want to start adding ethernet fixtures Source 4wards). I tried a random address that is already programmed into our ELEMENT console,  but the fixture won't come on. What do i need to do to get it working.

Parents Reply Children
  • Thanks for the reply. I see that it is an ethernet TYPE cable. Unfortunately I don't know what an rj45, sACN, or ArtNet is.

• Ok a few explanations 

RJ45 is the connector type that you are familiar with used on Ethernet connections, however they are not only used for Ethernet connections but other things as well.

And that’s where this had gone wrong for you, the fixture is using them for DMX signals but the desk is using them for real Ethernet and so that doesn’t work.  It’s just like 3 pin XLR is used for sound signals and dmx and plugging one into the other doesn’t work or worse.

Art net and sACN are internet communication protocols (a bit like http but a load simpler and lower down the provolone stack in techy speak) that allow dmx data to put into IP packets and sent across a normal computer network ie what normally goes on Ethernet cabling.

So to solve your problem you just need a cable that has and rj45 plug on one end and and xlr on the other and just the right 3 or 5 pins connected from one to the other and then you plug it in to the dmx chain as per normal. that’s where sstaub’s post comes in as he is pointing you at the doc that says which pins need to be wired up in that cable

Hope that helps

Related