ETC Videos

What program are ETC using to show their results on a virtual 3D stage? This would be great for modeling at home.

• I believe everything is from Capture by www.capturesweden.com

There are several programs that can do that sort of "visualization" (google it for more) with various feature sets and price ranges. Capture seems to be one of the most popular and budget minded programs.

• Oh Lordy you're right! Some time back I was using QLC+ and downloaded the free version of Capture. I really need to dig it up because I want to make some demo's of some effects (step chase). Thanks RickR

• The one you see in the videos is a standalone version of that setup. You can't change it, but it reacts. And you don't need a license for that.

www.etcconnect.com/.../

• Not quite clear here. Are you saying ETC have a stand alone Capture that reacts to the Eos? I have the Student Edition of Capture and a while back hooked QLCPlus with good results. I have enabled the Art-Net in the Eos Shell settings and checked Capture art-net enabled and assigned fixtures to a Universe. But can't see any reaction in Capture's lights as I change values in Eos. Any ideas on this -Thanks

• Robert, a few weeks ago I replied to a similar question of yours with some pretty informative links on the ETC website, it was in the following thread: https://community.etcconnect.com/control_consoles/f/eos-family/27479/etc-videos/88156#88156

Grab a copy of sACN View, and see if your computer is even getting sACN from Eos, as sACN is the preferred communication protocol.

What Ueli is referring to is the "Music the Musical" capture file, which can take sACN in from any source, but you can't make any edits to the patch/position of fixtures. You'd need a licensed version of Capture if you'd like to build your own vis files with more than the few included fixtures on the Capture Student Edition.

Let us know where you're getting caught up with Capture, and I'm sure someone on the forum would be able to help Slight smile

• Harrison - lots of good stuff here. I should explain I am using the EOSNamd suite on my desktop (not from a console). Having said that I do not seem to be producing any output to sACNView (which I have no prior knowledge of.

In the Eos shell I see;

Status   ONLINE *  <<<<< Looks good!
    Auto IP  Checked *
    IP Addr  192,168,1,141 *
    Subset   192.168.1.1 *
    Pinged 192.168.1.141 and got replies
    Remote Setup and shutdown / unchecked
    Output Protocols
    sACN and ArtNet checked and set to defualt
    Allowed OP Address 1 to 32767488
    IF Protocols all unchecked
    DHCP Serever; Enable is unchecked *
    Update Service (TFTP) and Time Service (SNTP; All unchecked
    I was able to ping 192,168,1,141 and get a result
    Note * = Can't be changed
    InSACNView under preferences we're showing
     "Ethernet" checked at address 192.168.1.141
    Receiver options are set to Display Blind and Display Source
    I opened the scope and added Chs 1 and 2 but on start, can't see any signal
    Only the red line coming across and trigger on rise = nothing
    I'll be spending more time on this, including looking at the sACNViewer which is new to me

• LATEST FYI. QLC+ was opened and ArtNet on 192.168.1.141 enabled (No sACN in QLC+ yet). "ArtNetominator" Showed DMX activity and running "Capture" with ArtNet enabled we saw all the light activity as faders were manipulated - as expected. Ergo "Capture" receiving ArtNet fine.

But back in EOSNomad and starting in vis mode with ArtNet enabled there was no DMX activity (as monitored by "ArtNetominator". The Console IP is 192.168.1.141 and ArtNetominator notes "another device listening - only broadcasts will be visible" Notably though I am unbale to check any DHCP Service, Update(TFTP) or Time Service (SNTP) boxes. (Not sure if they are need here.

So that's where I am at; Capture responds to ArtNet/DMX but I can't get EOSnomad to transmit ArtNet on local network. As a reminder I am not using a console. All this is on a desktop. 

• Both the server version nomad uses as well as sACN have the behaviour (because of how networking for multicast and broadcast works) that you might need a switch connected.

As a simplified explanation: sACN uses multicast. This is sent to a switch and the switch manages to which device the data is forwarded to.

ArtNet exists as broadcast and unicast version. If qlc sends unicast, but Eos send as broadcast, qlc sent data could be received within the same computer but Eos sent data would need a switch to bounce the data back.

• Right along what we're thinking. I picked up on the ArtNet duplicity but thought EOS was using ArtNet 1 and hence Broadcast to afford simplicity when setting up. In my case it would mean that both ArtNetView and Capture were using whatever QLC+ was sending leaving EOS as the odd one out. I'm of course on an internal LAN so not sure how a switch would fit here. To tell you the truth I was rather hoping some one would say - "I'm using Capture and here are my settings"? But it seems to be deeper than that. I'll keep trying.  

• I seem to have made a mess of this - so replying fairly "up-Stream" to perhaps help others. I had great difficulty getting EOSNomad and Capture to talk and pounded this board for a while. Problem fixed when I went into Capture's Connectivity options and changed both ArtNet and ESR E1:31 (sACN) from "Automatic" to the IP address of my desktop. Why didn't I catch it earlier? Probably because QLC+ worked (with Captures Automatic). Still - no excuses, just bad trouble shooting.    

• Probably the difference was (based on the info in the other thread  you posted about this) was artnet was not in broadcast mode on EOS,  my guess is the QLC+ was in broadcast mode so the address didnt matter..

• Yes, this little exercise made me go back and redo stuff I knew about years ago. "Use it or lose it" so a flurry or TCP/IP re-education is taking place. Thanks for your input and those of others here. Bottom line though - It's really cool to see those lights coming up!

Related