How do I make an intensity effect sub override other intensity data?

Is it possible to have an effect sub master that controls the intensity of an intelligent light override other intensity data? Every other effect sub seems to do it just fine. Color, focus, etc... But if I have manually entered intensity for my lights, or run up an intensity submaster, then the effect submaster does nothing. I can manually activate the effect and it works fine (actually flickers or ramps), but not another sub. 

I've tried playing around with sub priority and htp/ltp but nothing seems to change (I've never touched these before and could easily be doing something wrong though.)

Is there something I'm doing wrong or should I just give up and run everything off of macros and direct selects?

Thanks.

• What type of effect are you trying to program to a submaster?

A submaster will not be able to override any manual data unless that submaster is Shielded. But a shielded submaster overrides all control (including manual control) other than Park.

It is possible to get an effect submaster to override other submasters. If the effect is a relative effect, it should "override" subs with the same priority automatically. If the effect is step-based or absolute, the submaster it is programmed to would need to be a higher priority than other subs OR be set to LTP.

Related