Change Channel Levels with Discreet Times in Live without Clearing Timings?

Hi all,

We have a touring show with cue upon cue of channels with discreet timings, and when relighting in new venues it is really difficult to deal with, as I can't just find a suitable level and update the cue, as it clears the all important timings from the affected channel. 

I can update the channel in blind to retain the timing, but that's not practical when trying to actually find a look live on stage and it would not be quick enough to update the 100+ cues this in this way.

Same goes for making all of the discreet timed cues into part cues, there's too many cues with many complex fanned discreet times that it would work to re do these all with parts.  

Is there another way to be able to update channels live without clearing out the discreet timings? 

I would love it if you could also have an option lock discreet times so that you couldn't be mistakenly cleared off when hastily making live edits (too often almost happens in quick q-q sessions) 

Thanks for your help as always,

Adam

• A couple of suggestions - I don't know your show so take with a grain of salt:

• Can you change the proportion for channels in patch rather than the levels in cues to deal with changes on a venue-by-venue basis? Or are the changes specifically to certain cues and not others?
    • Create a second cue list with just timing information (or just make a copy of your main cue list). When you are done with updating levels in a cue, recall the timing for those channels from the matching cue in the second cue list.

-Todd

• shifting the thread slightly:  WHY does changing levels of a channel wipe out the discreet timing?

I don't use it that much, but I would be VERY annoyed to lose data unknowingly because a level was updated.

Andrew

• Hi Todd,

Thanks for your suggestions. It is possible to do both of these suggestions but they are a bit of a faf for tight relight sessions. We usually apply curves to deal with different venues dimming oddities between venues which is straight forward enough and fine to get things back on an even playing field, but then the level changes my be in cues and the discrete times are applied to over 40 fixtures so it would take forever!

The second cue list idea is a good work around though, I just wish that I don't have to do all that unnecessary extra work, cos then it is probably just as easy to change the level in live, note it and then change it in blind, but again even that's a faf after doing it multiple times.

Cheers

Adam

• Hey Andrew, I think in a round about sort of a way is what i'm getting at. I use discreet timings often, mainly because of the speed of which it can create fanned timings over multiple fixtures, and have never found it to be a useful feature that the times vanish when editing just the levels.

• Adam- how are you changing the levels in live?  When I tested this I made a change to a channel and then used update enter to save the change, and my discrete timing remained in tact.  If I recorded that did not happen, because the time was not part of my syntax.

• Hi Sara,

I have just found out what is going on here... I have never actually been gone as far as updating a cue in live because when I change the intensity the discreet timing flag in the tombstone disappears leading me to think that it would be removed on updating, but I just did a dummy update and your of course right, the flag comes back. 

How stupid is that, i just saw it disappear so have never went any further! Is there any reason for the 't' to vanish when changing intensities?

Thanks

Adam 

• All good Andrew, I was wrong all these years and took the 't' flag disappearing during changes a bit too literally. facepalm.

• Hi again Todd, I was wrong all these years and took the 't' flag disappearing during changes a bit too literally. Turns out I can do what you would expect and go ahead and complete the update and the discreet timing is left intact. Thanks for your suggestions none the less. 

Adam

• Adam,

When I saw your question, I tried it offline on my PC - saw that the timing "t"  disappeared when [Update] key is pressed. I made the same assumption that the timing would go away.

I agree that the timing indicator should not go away if the discrete timing will persist through the update command.

-Todd

• I agree. I have reported the disappearing t as a bug.

Related