Wrong fixture assigned to channel

Hi, our church uses an Element console.  Our lighting system was professionally installed, but there is one fixture that is unintentionally coupled with another fixture on the same channel.  Although the patch list indicates that channels 63 and 64 are supposed to control different fixtures, in reality channel 63 controls both and channel 64 controls none.  The addresses assigned to channels 63 and 64 are unique, fwiw.

Is this something I can easily change somehow?  Are there wires crossed somewhere? Do we need to call the installer back in? (I'm a lowly church volunteer, not a lighting pro).  

FWIW, the fixtures on the opposite side of the room (mirror image) are controlled on two separate channels, which is how both sides should be working.

Thanks,

Kevin

• Do you have a ladder? ;)

You will need to go to the fixture that turns on when it shouldn't and change its start address

• I'm not familiar with the element.  I know the Ion.

Before you do anything here, save the show file.  if something goes horribly wrong, then you can re-load the file and start again.

also, if the Element has an UNDO button, that will be a good thing to find.

You need to get into Patch.

type 63 enter.

the screen should move to show both lamps as part 1 and part 2 of channel 63.  64 should be empty.

type:    63 [part] 2 [copy to] [copy to] 64 [enter].

pressing Copy To twice puts Move To on the command line.

that should MOVE all the data (instrument type and address information) from 63 to 64.

If that cross patches the 2 lamps (so 63 comes on when you want 64 to come up, and 64 comes up when you want 63 on):

type: 63 [swap] 64 enter.  the addresses will change between the 2 channel numbers.

Andrew

• Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, channels 63 and 64 already are patched to unique addresses.  I suspect that the issue might be with the address of the fixture as mentioned in a separate reply.

I appreciate the note about saving the show file.

Thanks,

Kevin

• This sounds like it may be the problem. Does the fact that each "fixture" I mentioned is actually a group of fixtures change anything? (Fixture 1 is a group of 4 hanging chandeliers, and fixture 2 is a group of 3 or 4 recessed lights). 

I've never attempted to change the address of a fixture.  I'm assuming (from your suggestion of using a ladder) that the address is changed somehow on the fixture itself, maybe dip switches or something?  Any references you can point me toward?

Much appreciated,

Kevin

• Take a look at the Patch tab. What addresses are fixtures 63 and 64 patched to? What type of fixtures are they listed as in the Type column?

From your description above, it sounds like we might be talking about dimmers and conventional fixtures.

If that is the case, it is more than likely a wiring issue (especially if these are hardwired and not plugged in to outlets)- which would mean the professional installers would have to come back and fix the problem.

-Todd

• 63 is patched to address 503, 64 to 504.  Both are type "Dimmer". 

Does that mean a wiring problem?  Bummer - my hopes were up!

• When you say fixture do you mean a dimmable tungsten filament lights that is controlled by an external dimmer or are we talking lights that take DMX and direct power?

• Hmm.  I'm afraid I don't know.  Is there an easy way to tell?

The lights in question are controlled with the console and not with any other external dimmer, if that matters.  I also know that they don't have a good low end curve - when the intensity is below about 40%, they flicker instead of dim.  I'm not sure if that helps you identify the type.

I sincerely appreciate the help here!  We have lived with the system as is for over a year, and it creates some inconveniences for sure.

• Sounds like LED lamps on some sort of dimmer, based on the low end curve you describe.

I don't think your church has a dimmer room with over 500 actual dimmers, unless it is a huge venue. Perhaps there are a set of architectural dimmers that are addressed in the 500 range for house lights.

I think a call to the installer is your best bet - they should have drawings and documentation. If this problem has existed since the install, they should fix it.

Related