Recording Groups into Cues - ETC ION

Hey Guys,

I am attempting to record a group into a cue and then be able to change the fixtures that are in that group.

For Example:

CH 1-5 are in group 1

Record Group 1@FULL into cue 1

Now I want CH 6-10 in Group 1 instead but I want the change to take effect in all the recorded cues. 

I know some boards can do this but is it possible on the ION? And if so, how do I do it? 

I have tried a few different things and cant get it to work. The cue seems to record the channels that are up and not the group. 

This would safe tons of time re-patching channels.

Thanks!

Parents
  • Groups are simply collections of channels. They exist to make it easy to put channels on the command line. They are not recorded into cues, as they have no parameter values.

If you do what Tony has written in his reply, you will get the values from channel 1 copied to channels 6 thru 10 in the selected cues. This is probably what you mean by "recording the group into cues."

-Todd

• This topic kind of goes along with what I was just getting ready to ask but just a bit different. Groups are a simplifier (is that a word? :-) Anyway when they are selected for ease to record into cues I am assuming they just allow what is in them to be dropped into the cue and the individual values/parameters are made at that time.

So what if the groups are changed around mid stream? Say Ch 1-6 are in group 1, ch 7-14 are in group 2 and cues are written using those groups. Then I change group 1 to be channels 40-56 and group 2 to be channels 19-27. Will that have any affect on what is currently recorded in the cues once the changes are made. Another words is there any reference in a cue to what was in the group when it was recorded?
    I am thinking you might be asking why groups would be changed mid stream. My exact situation is I used a current show file for a new event that has all the same fixtures in it in all the same locations plus a few added. I modified the Magic Sheet and the groups to make more sense for both events actually but saved the changes in the new one only. Because the new one makes much more sense I want to merge the groups and Magic Sheet in the new show file into the original one, which is going to be used weekly for a very long time. Of course I would delete the added fixtures in the Magic Sheet and the groups that are not needed. I don't want the group changes to affect the cues in the original file at all.

Hope this makes sense.

• This topic kind of goes along with what I was just getting ready to ask but just a bit different. Groups are a simplifier (is that a word? :-) Anyway when they are selected for ease to record into cues I am assuming they just allow what is in them to be dropped into the cue and the individual values/parameters are made at that time.

So what if the groups are changed around mid stream? Say Ch 1-6 are in group 1, ch 7-14 are in group 2 and cues are written using those groups. Then I change group 1 to be channels 40-56 and group 2 to be channels 19-27. Will that have any affect on what is currently recorded in the cues once the changes are made. Another words is there any reference in a cue to what was in the group when it was recorded?
    I am thinking you might be asking why groups would be changed mid stream. My exact situation is I used a current show file for a new event that has all the same fixtures in it in all the same locations plus a few added. I modified the Magic Sheet and the groups to make more sense for both events actually but saved the changes in the new one only. Because the new one makes much more sense I want to merge the groups and Magic Sheet in the new show file into the original one, which is going to be used weekly for a very long time. Of course I would delete the added fixtures in the Magic Sheet and the groups that are not needed. I don't want the group changes to affect the cues in the original file at all.

Hope this makes sense.

Children
Related