Multi Cell with Parts

Is there a way to patch more than one multi-cell fixture (with different addresses) into a channel? I'm using Color Force II 72s and a MC profile. If I create a part 2 for that channel with the same profile it will create the part 2 but no cells for it. I also tried just adding parts to the cells. They appear with type Dimmer and I haven't found a way to change it to the pixel type.

• i think i know what you want, but that's not something eos does (and there are reasons)

you want a master that has parts and within the parts you get multicell.
    but what eos gives you: master that controls parts and cells, but the cells are not within the parts.

things that are in parts don't get discrete control, so i'm not sure this would actually be helpful to you.

what you could try is having cells 1-12 for one fixture and 13-24 for the other

• Yes, the parts wouldn't have discrete control. It was a bit of a silly situation where the designer specified a profile with cells on his plot, but had all fixtures in the same channel, and the IATSE crew lead insisted we only do exactly what was on the plot (yet have all the fixtures in different addresses). The designer ended up getting back to me that we don't actually need cells so I just used a non-MC profile.

Your idea for one massive fixture with a bunch of cells sounds intriguing though. I might try that sometime. I've really loved the MC profiles in general.

• You could have done that by addressing each fixture with the same address. 

I find that when working with intelligent fixtures, some travelling LDs don't always get it. So you have to adapt the plot to your venue. It's easier to throw 6 fixtures into a Group & get the same effect as a single channel, yet retain flexibility.

• Yep, using the same address would have made it a non-issue. I think our lead LX was worried that they might actually what more individual control at the venue, which is great to be prepared for, but in this case created a new problem from the lack of flexibility. I would have preferred to patch everything as MC profiles and in separate channels in the first place, since we're already using the space in the universes anyway. I'm coaxing the team towards better communication with designers and better board setups but it's a process.

• Sometimes it's easier to just do it than try to explain it.

Having a venue with ColorSource CYC units always caused issues when a road show came through until I just asked for the show file in advance. Then I was able to add colour palettes for show colours and adapt Qs to include all of our fixtures at a level & in a CP.

Sometimes LDs cram the fixtures and only have 3 channels allocated for Cyc units and something else is in 4... Then you have to move your units to a different channel set.

Swapping between conventionals and smart fixtures is a task. That's why we get paid the big bucks.

• Exactly! Glad your situation is giving you the freedom to do your job right.

Related