Potential networking of Eos consoles

Hello all,

A question that has come out of an unusual situation. I work in TV studios, we have 3 Eos lighting desks in different galleries around the site. We have 10 studio spaces, any gallery can send data to any studio space lighting rig. We have the problem of moving around the studio site day to day, but as the galleries can all talk to each space, we are rarely on the same lighting desk everyday, but maybe working in the same set over a few days. Some rigs are simple, and some more complex with lots of LED fixtures etc etc... After a day ends we have to save the showfiles onto a USB and transfer it onto the next desk we are on the following day. This is getting very messy, the 3 desks never have the same building blocks apart from the patch and console settings.

What I am wondering, is it possible to network the 3 consoles together in a way that one show file can be accessed across all 3 desks? Something like the show file sits on a central sever and all 3 desks can access it? How would something like that work with one lighting desk saving for example, and the other two are currently working from the same file? I understand how partitions work well in a traditional theatre programming setup, but I can’t seem to think of a way to make this work. All 3 desks have the same patch, so I don't think anything clever with users or partitions would work, as all 3 use the same patch but always sending data to different studios. Essentially this is to save having to transfer showfiles across the site on USB, but after a day of filming the show file is updated with the palette, preset and cue information recorded during the day and then accessible by both the other desks over the network the next morning? 

There maybe a very simple solution here, but some help finding it or for someone to say ‘stick with the USB's!’ would be great. 

Thanks,

Matt 

• Matt,

You could add a RPU to be the master device with the overall show file. Your 3 consoles could connect as clients. If your patch never changes and each space has the same channels, then you can use partitions to separate your spaces and assign each partition to a separate user. Each user would also get their own cue list.

Some caveats:

• Saving the show on any console would save it on every device which would wipe the undo history on every console.
    • the RPU would be a single point of failure unless you had a backup console or a second RPU. My suggestion would be to not make a roving console act as a backup because a re-sync is needed any time the backup is reconnected, which could disrupt work on all of the stages.

Another option would be to continue with separate show files but add a PC that would be a file server to store the show files. It would just sit somewhere on the lighting network and with the appropriate sharing settings would be visible to all of the consoles as a save location.

-Todd

• Are all 3 desks on?  Depending on your outputs you could just have one act as master and 2 as clients or backups and all share the same everything.  Each stage gets a thousand channels.  Then every stage has everything from every other stage and all your floor units and day to day updates are universal.

Otherwise a network drive could work but you're still doing the showfile merge stuff that you have to do on USB.

Related