Random flickering on Ion universe 2

Our older Ion is out on an infrequent hire job this week with a local guy, and I had a phone call from him last night asking if we'd had any issues with there being random flickering on some fixtures in the past JUST on universe 2. He was having some problems, but said that he'd tried them on uni 1 and they were fine. At this point I don't know if he just swapped the cables out and re-patched to prove this or if he physically patched them at the fixtures to prove it. I've suggested a few other basic fault-finding routes but haven't had more feedback as yet.

However, for the point of this question that's irrelevant. What I'm interested in is whether there is a likelihood/possibility that the desk itself might have a fault which could output 'dirty' DMX data and hence cause the symptoms?

In my experience, issues like this tend to be a dodgy or unsuitable cable, lack of termination or electrical noise on the line either from an external interference or a faulty fixture somewhere on that line. I've not heard of a desk generating noise etc...

I'm trying to help diagnose remotely - and have suggested he give the hallowed ETC support a call last night - so don't have all his details as yet, but just pondering the desk possibilities just in case.

So - thoughts?

Parents
  • Well, finally got some feedback from the hirer and as expected it was NOT a desk problem but a rogue cable issue - which is what I suggested they investigate first.

However, some interesting thoughts from you guys on the potential for flicker-fest causes, so something to ponder for the future.

Cheers

• Well, finally got some feedback from the hirer and as expected it was NOT a desk problem but a rogue cable issue - which is what I suggested they investigate first.

However, some interesting thoughts from you guys on the potential for flicker-fest causes, so something to ponder for the future.

Cheers

Children
No Data
Related