Avolites in an ETC system

Hey guys.

Wednesday we had a show here at our venue. The LD prefered his Avolites Pearl instead of our IONXE. We hooked up his system connecting everything of our universes 3 and 4 directly via a splitter with DMX cables.

Our universes 1 and 2, our Sensor+ dimmers, he connected to using a 4-Port Gateway where we put in the first and second connectors and configured as input. Everything worked fine.

At some point, our long awaited Touch Monitors arrived and we, as children in christmas' eve were anxious to try them out. We have an EOS classic as backup so we thought there shouldn't be any problem turning off the IONXE. And so we did and the EOS took control as usual.

Suddenly (hopefully during a slow part of the reahearsal), all lights went off and the avolites lost control of the rig, even universes 3 and 4 which weren't even connected to the network. I put some service lights with the EOS and promptly turned the IONXE on. Everything came back to normal.

My question is: if the Avolites signal came in through our gateway and theoretically sent the signal directly to our dimmers, why should the IONXE have anything to do with it? Shouldn't they obey an HTP logic since everyone in the network has the same ACN priority? The event is long gone and I couldn't find the time to run more tests but this really intrigued me.

Related