Colour Palette names not showing on new instruments' channels.

Running Ion 2.8.x

acquired ETC coloursource 4s a few years ago, made by-type CPs, and turned Display Labels ON.  in the Live Summary screen the channels display what colour is active.   All Good.

recently bought Chauvet Quad Zoom units.  recorded them in my existing CP.   (dummy channel, by type).  the units reference the colour (the lights change colour), but the colour label doesn't display in the channel display. the label still shows with the original LED units.  If I change Format to Live Table, the colour labels are displayed.  (??!)

I made brand new CPs of mixed colours just for the Quad Zoom (not by-type).  now those CP labels are displaying correctly in the Live Summary.

what goofed?  was it how I originally made the CP, or added new units it them, or something else?

thanks.

Andrew Riter

Parents Reply Children
  • Thanks for the answer. 

I had to go back and look at the Table layout.

in Table, with Colour expanded, each colour parameter (RGBW) refers to the reference palette and shows the name.  Collapse the Colour and I get the same display as Channel Summary: RGB units show the CP name, and the RGBW units show  a Plus.  this happens even if I record a cue.

When I re-recorded the previous CP with the new RGBW units, the new W parameter was recorded into the CP.  how does that "not contain all colour parameters?"

By your logic, I need different CP for each LED engine units?  so a set of RGB CPs, RGBW CPs, and RGBWALUV CPs?

Is it possible to modify anything (the CPs?) so I can see the Palette labels all the time for all the instruments?  Not very helpful if I need to flop screens around to see what the colour is currently at.

I want to go through the original CP and try to better match the actual lamp colour of the RGBW units with my RGB units.  by modifying the W value in the original CP, and re-recording, will that fix this issue?

Not trying to be snarky or come across as angry.  just confused by this.

Thanks very much for any clarity you or anyone can provide.

Andrew

• not suggesting to record different CPs per type. all i'm saying is: if not all parameters per category (in your case all color parameters of a fixture) have a value recorded into the color palette, chances are you will get a +, because Eos can't show at the same time the CP number and the value of the parameters not contained in the color palette.

that would also explain why re-recording CPs helps: your RGBW fixtures only had RGB (no W) recorded in the CP before, after re-recording the CP has levels for RGBW. so now it's easy to display the color palette number, because all parameters want to show the same thing.

no, you can't change a property of the color palette or a setting in the console to force Eos to always show the reference label instead of a +

• I think we're getting close

If I take the original CP, and give the RGBW units a white colour parameter value of 01%, and update the original CPs, that should fix this?  will it work with a white colour value of 0%?

And Question: are the Manufacture Colour Libraries on the consoles only built using RGB data?

thanks very much.

• White just needs *a* value in the color palette, no matter *which* value. 0%, 5%, 17.73%, 100%

the color library will use Hue/Saturation and then convert it to all color parameters it understands. CMY, RGB, RGBW, RGBAW and so on. which color parameter Eos understands depends on how the fixture was manufactured and how many different colors were used. if it's more than 3 additive colors usually the fixture needs to be calibrated (i.e. the manufacturer either needs to send a sample to london or give ETC some information like which wavelength each LED emits.

to make a long story short: there is no general answer for all fixtures in the library

Related