what is different trace and trace trace

according to manual.

i know what is trace, and in there manual ...To force that channel's new value to go backward in the cue list, [Trace] [Trace] can be
entered. but. it is not different with just trace in test..

• In the manual it says

1. When a channel that is inactive (at zero or null) in the cue list receives an active level, if update trace is used, that channel will not trace the current setting into previous cues. To force that channel's new value to go backward in the cue list, [Trace] [Trace] can be entered.

So I think its only going to behave differently if the channel was not set to something prior to this cue,  I've not tried it but I guess it will push the value back to the very first cue in the list in that situation,  so its probably only really helpful when running with multiple cue lists active.

• [Trace] [Trace] is tracking backwards

[Trace] is looking back or "tracing" back to the source of where a channel has received it change instruction, changing the value and then tracking that value forwards from that point in the cue list.

In some scenarios depending on where you are editing the value of a channel within the cue list and what it is doing around said cue you may find that [Trace] [Trace] looks to do be doing the same as [Trace]. For example if you were sat editing a channel in a cue that sat before a cue that changed the value of that same channel to something different then the tracking forwards part of trace would not be seen.

• When you say [Trace] [Trace] is tracking backwards, are you saying something different from what the manual says?

As that seems to be saying the difference in behaviour is simply that as it scans backward thru the cues, then if it doesn't find a cue that has a change instruction in it then it sets it on the first cue in the list instead of leaving it on the current cue.

• If there was a value for the given attribute or intensity prior in the cuelist (you see a minus - ), [Trace] tracks the new value backward to the last move instruction.

If there was no value before (no minus), [Trace][Trace] can force the change to the beginning of the show (or the next blocked cue in this direction)

If there was a value already, [Trace] and [Trace][Trace] act the same way.

Maybe a little video helps:
    www.screencast.com/.../4ab2i8Yag9

• Has there something changed in 2.8 or 2.9.?

I'm pretty shure, in 2.7 and prior, the command in the picture below had forced channel 2 to be at 40% from cue 22.5 to 26.
    Now you have to put [Trace][Trace] to achieve this.

I always used ChanX [Update][Trace][Track] if I wanted it to be at a certain level the entire show, for example blue lights or something like that...

Trace in 2.9

• No, it's been that way as long as Trace has been a function.  Sammy's explanation above is correct.  if a channel is inactive in the cue, and gets a new active value with an Update Trace, the console will not trace the new value back and will just dump them in the cue.  This function does not look at cue list ownership (the "-" that you reference above).

If you want to update the values back regardless of if they're applying to an active or inactive channel, you have to use [Trace][Trace].

Related