Chauvet led steppy dimming

Hey all! Probably been talked about before but I'm having an issue with my Chauvet colordash par quad 18s not dimming smoothly. I believe they're supposed to be 16 bit dimming but the default patch for them is set at 8 bit. When I go to change it to 16 it gets mad at me because I have them all patches one after the other set at 10 channels each so if I switch it to 16 bit it adds an 11th channel. Wondering if there's a work around for this. 

Parents Reply Children
  • It’s unusual for fixtures at this kind of price point to have 16 bit dimming and their website and full manual doesn’t mention it and the dmx charts as you say don t include a mode that has it.  

You might find if you adjust the dimming speed  (one of the Params in 10 ch mode) that you might get less steppy results you could set it just when you need it to be slow. Although whether that makes any difference will be whether the D to A convert or that is driving the actual dimmer circuit is internally 16 bit or not.

i assume the steppy ness is particularly visible when the fixture is at the low end of its output range and/or the colours are at a low value.

• I have some chauvet gear, and noticed that the manual incorrectly said that I could separately control the outer ring of LEDs and the inner ring of LEDs.  Non of the profiles allowed for that.  I won't claim "bait and switch" but it is annoying.

Is there a dimmer mode setting or a curve setting on the lamp itself?  that may help with the steppy-ness. 

And, I was told that if you have a unit programmed for a high Power Width Modulation (PWM?) (LED flicker rate on camera), that will negatively affect the dimming.  try a lower setting (1200 was suggested to me).

Good Luck

Andrew

• for the record PWM is pulse width modulation not power width modulation

Related