move groups

Hello everyone,

is there a workaround to move a group (IE group 1 to group 8)  the move_to command doesn't seem to work.

thanks for your help

Mart

Parents
  • You must go in the group list (GROUP GROUP). Moving Groups do not work in LIVE. stefan
  • that's it. thanks alot.

Wouldn't it be convenient to be able to do this in live as well?
    that way i can set the groups geografically.

greetings

Mart

• This is by-design. MoveTo and CopyTo with Groups in Live could be ambiguous, as you use Group to mean a selection of channels. So in Live, Group 1 CopyTo Group 2 would copy the information about those channels, not make a copy of that Group. Obviously the behaviour is different in the Group list.

For consistency, Move as required above is done in the Group list as well.

Hope that makes sense!

-luke-

• I have read this post more then three times now, because everytime I need to move groups I have to look it up on the forums. I think it is much more inconsistent to have groups being the only type of DS that you can't move like all the others, in favour of somehting else that you cannot do either! Please, please change this in a future update! (so I never have to see this post again...)
  • You can think of you asking for this, as me asking "Please make this orange give me apple juice on the next update of my juicer!" ... sure they are both classified as fruit, and can both become juice. But you cant make an orange give you the juice of an apple.

Understanding what a group is, instead of a pallet, is important in understanding why this doesn't work. They aren't the same thing, which is why you cant treat them the same, even if they can both be on a direct select...

It's not the same juice.
  • This is a feature I would like to see as well, and I don't understand why it's forbidden either.

To borrow and extend the above analogy, this isn't trying to get apple juice from an orange--it's asking "why is it impossible to make apple juice except in this one room?"

To be clear, I'm only talking about what happens when you want to copy or move a group into a non-existent group.  Doing it in live or any other place except blind group view throws command errors, so I don't see any possible ambiguity or confusion--the user's intent is clear from selecting a non-existent group as the object of the command.  All enabling this would entail is removing the command line error when in other modes.  The only thing achieved by restricting this action to group view is an unnecessary mode switch and extra keystrokes.

Let me break it down--

In live (or blind cue, etc), "Group 1 copy to Group 2" (which already exists) copies level information.  All well and good, and very useful.
    In Group view, the exact same command, "Group 1 copy to Group 2" (which already exists) replaces the channel list.  So as things stand now, the user is trusted to understand that the same command has two different functions depending on context, and must learn to keep them straight.

In live (or blind cue, etc), "Group 1 copy to Group 3" (which does not exist) gives an error and does nothing.  "Group 1 move to Group 3" (which does not exist) gives an error and does nothing.
    In blind group view, the exact same commands copy or move the channel list into a new group.  This is the only "place" in the software where these commands function at all with a not-yet-existent object.  Where would the confusion come from letting this work in live instead of throwing an error?  What ambiguity is being avoided?  The context of choosing an empty group slot makes it clear what the user wants to achieve.

Maybe this is yet another quirk of how the workflow on film/tv shoots differs from theatrical use--I make extensive use of group DS tiles throughout the day, for a quick graphical handle to channels I might only need for a few hours.  It is extremely useful (and FAST) to create these groups by clicking on an unoccupied tile in the group DS display.  As the day progresses, those tiles can get moved around and redefined many times, so being able to quickly rearrange them is important.  Being prevented from doing this in live adds unnecessary steps and slows things down.

Matthew Rohn
    IATSE Local 52

• This is a feature I would like to see as well, and I don't understand why it's forbidden either.

To borrow and extend the above analogy, this isn't trying to get apple juice from an orange--it's asking "why is it impossible to make apple juice except in this one room?"

To be clear, I'm only talking about what happens when you want to copy or move a group into a non-existent group.  Doing it in live or any other place except blind group view throws command errors, so I don't see any possible ambiguity or confusion--the user's intent is clear from selecting a non-existent group as the object of the command.  All enabling this would entail is removing the command line error when in other modes.  The only thing achieved by restricting this action to group view is an unnecessary mode switch and extra keystrokes.

Let me break it down--

In live (or blind cue, etc), "Group 1 copy to Group 2" (which already exists) copies level information.  All well and good, and very useful.
    In Group view, the exact same command, "Group 1 copy to Group 2" (which already exists) replaces the channel list.  So as things stand now, the user is trusted to understand that the same command has two different functions depending on context, and must learn to keep them straight.

In live (or blind cue, etc), "Group 1 copy to Group 3" (which does not exist) gives an error and does nothing.  "Group 1 move to Group 3" (which does not exist) gives an error and does nothing.
    In blind group view, the exact same commands copy or move the channel list into a new group.  This is the only "place" in the software where these commands function at all with a not-yet-existent object.  Where would the confusion come from letting this work in live instead of throwing an error?  What ambiguity is being avoided?  The context of choosing an empty group slot makes it clear what the user wants to achieve.

Maybe this is yet another quirk of how the workflow on film/tv shoots differs from theatrical use--I make extensive use of group DS tiles throughout the day, for a quick graphical handle to channels I might only need for a few hours.  It is extremely useful (and FAST) to create these groups by clicking on an unoccupied tile in the group DS display.  As the day progresses, those tiles can get moved around and redefined many times, so being able to quickly rearrange them is important.  Being prevented from doing this in live adds unnecessary steps and slows things down.

Matthew Rohn
    IATSE Local 52

Children
  • Absolutely correct.

In Live (or blind cue, etc), you are managing levels when using CopyTo and are passing that level data around, very nice and easy. You can't pass level data to something that doesn't exist, which is why you get the CopyTo error when moving to a group that doesn't exist.

The ambiguity comes from people thinking we are managing the group in places that aren't the group list. We are really managing a selection of channels, and their associated level data.

In the group lists, you are managing the groups channels they are associated to. This is why when you CopyTo/MoveTo in the group list, copies the channels and moves groups around. And is proper syntax.

The statement "Let's move these levels of this channel selection to this group that doesn't exist." doesn't make sense to a computer. Which is why a syntax error is thrown.

Groups own channels, so you can pass channels back and forth between them, as well as move them as the entity of a group. This is done in the Group List Display.
    Channels own level data, so you can pass the level data between them. This is done in Live/Blind Cue

The statement "Let's pretend I'm talking about the group I have, not the channel list, now move that group to this empty one." makes sense and is basically what you are asking, but Is it the right decision? Is it a safe way to manage data? Is it easy to do from a computer programming sense?

I don't know...
    but ETC has chosen to take the stance of keeping them separate for some reason. Sure it seems like it makes sense from a human standpoint. "I'm clicking group, let me move the group with my move button." but that is not all there is to it.

I'd say its probably best bet to start thinking of the group in anywhere other than group list as your orange, but when in the group list, group is grapes.

As for slowing down workflow, I just built a macro command: [Group] [ Group] [CopyTo] [CopyTo] and put that in a magic sheet. Hit what group you want, fire the macro get the same result as the MoveTo command.
    After hitting live to get back out, I've ended up hitting the same amount of buttons I would have if it was implemented the way you are requesting.

One argument I could see against the way they have it now is "I can record a group in live though..." but record, which I'm sure we can agree on, is a completely different function altogether.
  • My point is not to hash over what is, about which I have no confusion or misunderstanding, but to suggest what should be.

And thank you for the macro suggestion, but it is not anywhere close to being faster or more efficient than "click DS tile, tap Copy To once or twice, click nearby empty DS tile".

In my opinion, the paramount design criterion for any technology is that it should serve the user's needs. What makes "sense" to a computer is whatever it has been programmed to do. What's "right" is whatever gets me to my goal in the quickest and most intuitive fashion. If there's a choice between preventing a function based on a philosophical design concept, and enabling a useful and intuitive feature that increases my speed and efficiency, I think the latter should win hands down. And I'll wager that most people who press buttons on lighting consoles as their jobs have enough going on upstairs that they can deal with whatever supposed slight rule-breaking such a function might entail. And I'll further wager that there are already numerous examples in the software where the rules are broken in a similar way in the service of utility.

Not to belabor this already well-beaten horse, but as a little more background so you can understand where I'm coming from--

Operating a console while lighting an edited, narrative TV show entails a different work process than creating or operating a theatrical show, and maybe this is an area where something that perhaps makes a little more sense in a theatrical context makes a little less sense for the way we work. Our day-to-day work involves continuously changing levels on the fly, building looks that might be used for 30 minutes to a few hours at most and which will, under normal circumstances, never be played back. The vast majority of the work is done in Live with manual data, and while we're lighting a shot, taking more than one or two seconds per adjustment is moving too slow. For that reason, any housekeeping I need to do has to be similarly fast so I'm ready for the next adjustment. It's quick and easy for me to record specials into groups on the DS display in live, so ten minutes later when the gaffer says "bring the window baby up 15 points", I can make the change nearly immediately without having to remember or type in the channel number. As the day progresses, I add, remove, change, and rearrange those tiles many times according to the needs of each setup. And when the setup or scene is done they get deleted, so the finer points of data management practices are irrelevant. Being able to move group DS tiles in live on the fly would be a very useful time-saving feature.

• I didn't say it was faster or more efficient. I said it is same number of keystrokes.

Your method, from live: DS press, CopyTo, CopyTo, DS press. 4 keystrokes
    My method, from live: DS press, Macro Press (on magic sheet), DS press, Live. 4 keystrokes

My method also leaves you in group list mode, which will allows you to use the DS press, CopyTo, CopyTo, DS Press method, leaving the live keystroke for the tale end of moving groups around. Same number of keystrokes all the way though...
    OR
    If the macro syntax was built as: Open_Group_Blind, CopyTo, CopyTo
    you can continue to use the macro press way, which shortens your keystrokes by one, every time you move a group in a rearranging of groups session, plus one press of live at the end (move 10 groups at the same time, 9 less keystrokes). So I guess it is more efficient now that you mention it...

I work in TV/film, theatre, and live busking environments as well as multi site/multi console and multi site/single console, so I too understand the differences in workflow. This however, is something I disagree with as being an inefficiency and more of misunderstanding/refusal of the concept.

To illustrate, lets look at another section of the board:
    In live, the syntax Chan X @ Y puts channel X at the level Y. In patch, Chan X @ Y patches Chan X to Address Y. No one is mad about this here, everyone understands it...
    Because in live we are managing channel selections and it's level data, and in patch we are managing patch...
    So with that same logic, in group list display, we are managing the group, and we already know live manages the channel selections and it's level data...
    The only difference here is that with groups, you are getting an error instead of a function being completed.
    Error = Frustration

I know you may understand it, which is where the refusal of concept comes in.
  • My opinions about what works best for me and the jobs I work on, and what doesn't, and how I think the platform can be tweaked to help me go faster, aren't up for debate. Get back to me on how motion picture shoots go when you've got 25 years and over 45,000 hours at it too.

Have a great day

Matthew Rohn
    IATSE Local 52
  • I am not sure what's more valuable here, user intuition or computer logic. If it is proven that multiple user have tried to achieve something in a given way and it doesn't interfere with existing functionality otherwise, there is absolutely no harm in implementing the function. You are always free to write a macro to do it the 'correct' way if you think that is better...

• I would like to see this happen. On another brand of console I use a lot you can move groups around. Drives me nuts not being able to do it using the DS.
  • While I think a way of rearranging/organizing groups via direct selects is a beneficial idea, I'm not sure if copy to is the right solution. It seems open to unexpected results. Group 1 Copy To Group 2 (which exists) sets levels, Group 1 Copy to Group 3 (which doesn't exist) creates a new group. But what if I accidentally hit group 3 instead of group 2 in my command line while in a hurry? It succeeds, so I may not notice that I accidentally created a new group instead of modifying levels (theoretically you'd notice that on stage...but..)

Now, I will say that I've always wondered why we can use both "copy to" and "recall from" to transfer levels between items (and why they sometimes have different behaviors...) Maybe it would make sense to change copy to/move to to move the target around, and recall from to grab the values, but that would be a surprise to a lot of people who currently expect something else.

Maybe an "edit" mode on direct selects that allows for quick adjustments? even drag and drop placement would be cool at that point.
  • Maybe it could be another syntax, that currently does nothing:
    [Copy to][Copy to]{DS Group #}{DS Group #}
    To be self terminating.
  • I like the idea to have an 'edit' mode on the DS, with drag&drop placement.
  • hydrogen said:
    Now, I will say that I've always wondered why we can use both "copy to" and "recall from" to transfer levels between items (and why they sometimes have different behaviors...) Maybe it would make sense to change copy to/move to to move the target around, and recall from to grab the values, but that would be a surprise to a lot of people who currently expect something else.

Copy to and Recall From are different because they leave you with different channels selected at the end of the operation.  Sometimes you want to "put" data into another channel but leave the source channel selected.  Sometimes you want to "grab" data from another channel and leave the target channel selected.  It's all about which direction you are working/thinking at that moment, and what operation you are planning on doing next.  We need to have both functions work for channel-level commands.

Recall From and Copy To should behave the same with channel-level functions.  Where do you see different behaviors?

On the bigger issue of moving & copying the groups themselves, it's critical to maintain that all functions applied to groups in Live or Blind apply to the contents of those groups and not the groups themselves.  "Group 1 Copy To Group 2" is an incredibly powerful function, and I use it every day.  While "Group 1 Move to Group 2" currently throws a syntax error, moving move commands (in blind) or manual data (in live) are features that many of us would love to see.

Toggling an edit mode on direct selects would be one way to add some flexibility here, but I'm not sure this would satisfy Matthew or the others who are asking to be able to move/copy groups in Live.  And, isn't pressing [Group][Group] before you move or copy groups with the DS tiles already effectively the same thing as entering an "Edit" mode?

Related