Anyone remember the original MicroVision™? (Not the FX.)

I'm trying to determine how many of these were actually used/manufactured/sold.  Launched in 1990, it wasn't on the market long before being replaced by the FX.

I've created a little "tribute" page here.  I'd be interested in hearing stories from other users.

[edited by: derekleffew at 11:52 PM (GMT -6) on Thu, Jan 31 2008]
Parents
  • VGA monitor with Microvision

Wow- I had no idea so few were sold!

This year a friend wanted to sell me an old MV (1990), but we couldn't find a CGA to VGA blackbox that did a good job.  With the adapter we tried (Ambery.com $100), the display looked pretty bad and it was hard to read the channel numbers and such.

Has anyone found a surefire way to adapt these relics to VGA?

Thanks 

• Other than ebay and your local Goodwill and pawn shops, any antique computer stores nearby?, I have heard the device below will convert CGA into VGA.  Expensive, but worth it if you can’t live with just the monochrome output.

The following is excerpted from a discussion on ControlBooth.com:
    "It's a small computer board powered by 12vDC that converts the CGA output of the Microvision into standard VGA output for regular computer monitors and even LCD Panels. My boss found them on EBay, they are actually originally designed for the old arcade video games. The old arcade games used CGA but when the old CGA monitors burned out they couldn't get new ones so they developed this board so they could replace the old monitors with modern ones.

www.ebay.com, item#150294277947. 

Arcade RGB CGA to VGA Converter, Cherry Marster Jamma

It has a VGA Pass Through and you have to get a 9-pin Male RGB connector and solder it on the included leads. You also have to supply your own 12vDC powersupply.

It works great so far, crystal clear on a 17" LCD Panel!"

Having never seen it, I can make no claims for or against this product.  If you go this route, let us know how it works.

[edited by: derekleffew at 9:43 AM (GMT -6) on Fri, Sep 19 2008]
  • derekleffew:

I can vouch for this product! I use it on my Microvision FX. I had to buy a plastic box, mount the board to it, and cut out a place for the monitor input, output and power input, but other than that it works great!!! You also will need a 9 pin serial cable (straight) to go between the console and the box. My CGA monitor died, and I needed a good solution, and monocrome was not acceptable. I found this about 2 years ago, and it has been working great ever since.

Reply Children
No Data
Related