Expression: some buttons on my board don't work and X/Y wheels

I recently inherited a board for the sudden laps of the person who worked it before me at my local church, I know it has been through a few people and has a lot of issues, one of my biggest ones is that buttons like [blind] and [M1] on my board are in responsive or always have the light on. I can access them through the visualization software, is there any way I can get them to work? Is it that they are broken or is it a communication error between the board?

• Sometimes this can happen as a result of gunk collecting under the keycap. This is especially likely if the button feels mushy rather than making a nice click. Compressed air may help clear some of that out, and you can (gently) pop the keycap off to get better access underneath.

If that doesn't work, then the button may just be worn out and in need of replacement. You can talk to one of our dealers about setting up a repair for that. If it's normal wear on the button, then it should be a pretty quick and easy fix. If it's the result of someone spilling their coffee on it... well, then the news could be a little worse.
  • Hello Mr Mark Penisten, I realized today that the X/Y wheels on my board don't work when i capture a channel, but with my moving light fixtures it works as pan and tilt. Is there anything you can teach me to get them to work levels?
    -the self trained person who needs help
  • My programming knowledge is somewhat more limited than my repair knowledge... it's been quite a few years since I've actually used anything in the Express/Expression family. I don't recall a way to disable the wheels for intensity, but not ML control. It does seem less likely to be a hardware problem given that they work in one mode.

Hopefully someone with more recent familiarity will come along to offer some guidance. Otherwise, it would be worthwhile to call our phone support (800-688-4116) sometime when you're in front of the console and have them walk you through some troubleshooting steps.
Related