SD Card Problem!

I am a new user.  I purchased a 1GB PNY SD card.  I was able to store the SFML software onto the card and also successfully do a software update from the SD card in the console.

However, when I try to Save a show, it says "Error: Card Write Protected?"   The card is NOT write protected though.  The switch on the card is in the correct position, and in a computer I am able to write to it.  It is in FAT-16 mode.  Again, the software update from the SD card works fine.

Ideas?

Jon 

Parents
  • That is a strange fault - I presume you've tried the switch in both positions? I know the labelling on some SD cards is odd.

Unfortunately some card readers don't check the status of the switch.

Write-protect is determined using a physical switch inside the connector, so you can check it in test mode:

• While the console is booting, hold down the [Tick] (Menu) key.
    • It will boot up into Test Mode.
    • Now press [Tick] several times to progress through the various tests (LEDs, DMX, MIDI etc)
    • Eventually you will get to a screen showing "Insert Memory Card" and "Write Protect: On"
    • Slowly insert your SD card - don't put it in all the way.
    • You should see Write Protect go Off while you insert the card, regardless of the switch position.
    • Once the card is fully inserted, the console will show "Memory Card Test Passed", regardless of switch position.
    If Write Protect doesn't go off at all, then you have a faulty unit and should contact your local ETC for a repair/replacement.

If Write Protect does go off, then the chances are that you have a faulty SD card, and have been lucky(?) enough to be using a reader that doesn't check for write protection.

[edited by: Richard at 9:57 AM (GMT -6) on Wed, Jan 09 2008] [edited by: Richard at 9:57 AM (GMT -6) on Wed, Jan 09 2008]
  • Richard -

I did the tests as you prescribed.  I DID see the Write Protect go Off while slowing inserting the card, and it did show the "Memory Card Test Passed" once the card went all the way in.

(yes, I have tried the switch in both positions to make sure also)

The Write Protect switch on the card itself is definitely working properly - if I put the switch in the protect position, I am not able to write to the card from a computer.

Jon 

• Richard -

I did the tests as you prescribed.  I DID see the Write Protect go Off while slowing inserting the card, and it did show the "Memory Card Test Passed" once the card went all the way in.

(yes, I have tried the switch in both positions to make sure also)

The Write Protect switch on the card itself is definitely working properly - if I put the switch in the protect position, I am not able to write to the card from a computer.

Jon 

Children
No Data
Related