Use SmartFade 1248 to control multi-color RGB fixture?

I'm largely unfamiliar with DMX, so this may be a stupid question. I volunteer at a church that has a Unison lighting system controlled by a SmartFade 1248 console. At the stage area, we have a DMX input. Is it possible to connect a couple of basic RGB multi-color lights to the DMX input and control them with the SmartFade 1248, even if it's cumbersome and controlled across multiple channels, etc?

Thanks!

Parents
  • Yes it's possible and you've pretty much stated how to do it.

Most basic LED lights use 3-6 addresses so you will need a group of channels free. Many of my clients with exactly this set up group their LEDs together by addressing the fixtures the same or by patching several addresses to each channel. Set one channel per fixture address to be controlled. Many fixtures have multiple modes including one that uses a minimum number of addresses for exactly your situation. As you can see keeping the channel count below your 48 limit will be critical. Once you have control over everything then you can set memories and program as usual.
  • Thanks!

In looking at the jack near the stage labeled "DMX In," I noticed it is a male port. Does that mean it can't be used to connect devices? Or can I use a gender changing cable/adapter to make this work?

Thanks again!
  • SmartFade has a backup console function. The input signal can be passed through or overridden but only if the console is set to Backup rather than Normal mode. You can worry about that after you buy a more capable console.
Reply Children
No Data
Related