Smartfade 2496 Data/Rate Encoder Knob broke

A remote was dropped and hit the Data/Rate encoder knob of the Smartfade 2496 console at our church, the shaft of the encoder split cleanly in half and now the encoder does not sit in place and is not functional. Does anyone know of a fix for this or a replacement part? I am thinking about gluing the encoder shaft back together and seeing if it holds, that may just be a temporary fix. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Parents
  • I have made this very repair quite recently. Got the encoder and knob from ETC via my local rep for a price comparable to what Newark or Mouser would have charged. I paid $1.04 for the encoder. It takes about an hour and most of that time is disassembly and re-assembly of the board (you have to take the main PCB out to access the encoder connections). I would not try glue as the shaft probably broke off right at the support collar of the encoder and the odds are you will inadvertently glue the shaft in place while trying to attach the knob. If you have any de-soldering experience it is a pretty straight forward job. You can re-use the knob. If you pry out the insert (lighter grey portion) you will see a compression nut which you can loosen and then push out the broken of portion of the shaft. 

RW...

Petaluma, CA

• I have made this very repair quite recently. Got the encoder and knob from ETC via my local rep for a price comparable to what Newark or Mouser would have charged. I paid $1.04 for the encoder. It takes about an hour and most of that time is disassembly and re-assembly of the board (you have to take the main PCB out to access the encoder connections). I would not try glue as the shaft probably broke off right at the support collar of the encoder and the odds are you will inadvertently glue the shaft in place while trying to attach the knob. If you have any de-soldering experience it is a pretty straight forward job. You can re-use the knob. If you pry out the insert (lighter grey portion) you will see a compression nut which you can loosen and then push out the broken of portion of the shaft. 

RW...

Petaluma, CA

Children
No Data
Related