HOG 4 Mac OS,

Well we be able to use NanoHog4 with Mac OS ? ore it have to be with PC(windows) only. Will be ready for Windows 8 ?:footinmouth:
  • So, Hog4 OS is on linux except Hog PC, which is understanding . To use Hog4 on Mac OS we have to wait little more.
    I agree with Emiliano, if I have to use PC than rather use my MAC OS.
    Thank you all.
  • [QUOTE=emilianomorgia@mac.com;62919]The question here is if they will release a version for Linux.

I love my mac but if I have to use the HogPc I wish to use it under linux.

The bigger question (to me at least) is whether any version of Hog-4 is still based on Linux, or if they have crippled the entire product family with WhinDuhs . . . At least in the Hog-3, the full-up console wasn't plagued by Win* . . .

(bassman - I would not be too sure about that . . the first thing HES did when they bought Hog-3 was to drive it towards Whin* . . . Only the full-up Hog-3 was Linux . . . Everything released on the HES watch was crippled . . . )

- Tim
  • [QUOTE=emilianomorgia@mac.com;62921]Yeah Linux was possible on Os3 too, but they did not want to release it for obvious reasons.

I wish they are going to change their mind for Os4 .

What obvious reasons? They didn't want to release a stable, easy to install version?

C'Mon . . . anyone who thinks Win* is easier hasn't spent much time on Linux . . .

- Tim
  • As far I know , today is not difficult to create a crossplatform application .
  • [QUOTE=tadawson;63108]What obvious reasons?

If they are going to release a Linux version you can build your own consolle . Hardware and software . You can can create a custom Os that run the Hog4 Only something you can't do it with Windows.

With Linux you can do what ever you want, linux it's super stable Windows is not.
  • [QUOTE=Marty Postma;63022]Yes and No.....it exists for the Linux version and hardware specific to the new consoles, but not as a general Linux program.

Creating a general Linux version means that every time new features are developed they would need to be tested on other Linux platforms and hardware sets as well before they can release.

Personally I think they are very smart to keep the new desks all on Linux and offer just a PC based standalone program.

It seems to me that this keeps testing to a minimum and will ultimately allow them to crank out new features and potential fixes faster.

Hope this helps. :)

Not if it's coded correctly . . . It would mean verification with kernel levels, and that's just about it . . . Hardware should be an irrelevancy *if* either system drivers (or properly written) drivers are used, which are not specific kernel dependent.

NVidia does it for full video cards, and they are *NOT* in any way kernel-specific. If major changes happen in a kernel, then yet, there is an update, but I have seen about 3 changes for that in about 4 years . . . Not exactly a big problem. What they do is provide the kernel to driver "bridge" module as source, and the "hard part" as a binary - hence, secrets kept, but builds on most kernels, and compatibility is ensured. For network drivers and such, HES should never touch them - they are a part of the system, and any card supported by that kernel should work . . . Video and USB devices as well . . .

- Tim
  • [QUOTE=tadawson;63107]The bigger question (to me at least) is whether any version of Hog-4 is still based on Linux, or if they have crippled the entire product family with WhinDuhs . . . At least in the Hog-3, the full-up console wasn't plagued by Win* . . .

- Tim

Our whole product line is running Linux. (H4-FB4-RH4)
    The only product running windows is 4PC.
  • Well color me immensely surprised and happy as heck! With all the movement toward Win (and lack of any updates to Hog-3 to speak of . . . ) in it's life cycle, I appeared that HES was pretty strongly Win- centric, especially with all the "justifications" I got back from folks when I questioned that choice!

Welcome back to progress!

And good to know that I don't need to write off the new platform as a viable choice!

And if I may ask, what changed to cause this 180 flip in direction? Oh, and no more MIPs processors though, right?

- Tim
  • [QUOTE=tadawson;63117]And if I may ask, what changed to cause this 180 flip in direction?

Who care about the past? now all the product line run Linux that's what I care of. just wish Pc version too .
  • I really don't understand why End Users are so concerned about running the Hog4pc on one platform rather than another one. At the end of the day We should all be concerned about other things such as stability and new features. As far as I know there's no difference between running an application on a mac or on a pc as far it meets the standards you're looking for.
    I run all my lighting application on a mac book pro running windows under bootcamp and I personally feel very comfortable. More or less we're all lighting programmer more than application programmer and we definitely shouldn't be concerned about using Windows, Mac os or linux. HES made the wise decision to run the Hog4pc under windows. That's it. As simple as that.
    This is a thread which has been dragged over forever and I reckon quite worthlessly. Personally even if they released a mac version I'd continue using it under bootcamp to be able to run on the same machine Hog4pc and Wysiwyg together. Or should we ask Cast to make a mac version of their software as well? What I want is definitely new features. GUI improvements, more graphical and interactive Editors developed around the new 10 points multi-touch screens, a new effect engine, CITP and RDM implementation, pixel mapping. And if these new features were run off Windows 3.0 I would't be concerned at all whatsoever.
    Hasta la vista