HOG 4 Mac OS,

Well we be able to use NanoHog4 with Mac OS ? ore it have to be with PC(windows) only. Will be ready for Windows 8 ?:footinmouth:
  • [QUOTE=bellons;63120]I really don't understand why End Users are so concerned about running the Hog4pc on one platform rather than another one.

so you have to take care of two different OS? You manage upgrades for Osx and Windows? are you setting up all your clients , mail , chat , google drive , dropbox , and so on on both Os?

I personally spend too much time to administrate two different Os , I use my mac for everything but Wysiwyg and hogpc . The result is :

I have spend about 500 euro for windows 7 , ( shortly I'll have to spend more for windows 8 )

I have to spend more money for the space of a SSD since I use two different os .

Every time I log in in to windows I have to spend 15 minutes to upgrade it to lasted version.

windows require a virus scan and it cost money

Linux doesn't need anything like this.

I don't see the point of your sentence, so why people using Mac? Why others using linux? Should we all run windows?
  • [QUOTE=emilianomorgia@mac.com;63121]I don't see the point of your sentence, so why people using Mac? Why others using linux? Should we all run windows?

In the end, what you choose for your personal life is one thing, but lighting programs have been traditionally PC based. There are some that support both Win + Mac, but they all start with PC.

Why is this? Because when you enter the world of Apple you become bound by their very strict hardware rules as well as software. Whereas in the PC world you have an exponentially larger choice of hardware plaforms and options to choose from. Not to mention that support for said hardware will be included in future software builds, so when you make a third party device you don't have to worry that it will suddenly not work in the next release as is typical with Apple.

Having said that I like Linux and Mac OSX feel and workflows, but for Apple particularly it seems ridiculous to spend as much as 500% more for some of the same chips offered in PCs just to get there.

Like I said at the start, if you choose one or the other for your personal work....that is one thing, but when you need lighting tools you need to run in a PC environment.

So if you choose a Mac.....that's where the extra cost lies....not with having to buy Windows then to run all your lighting tools.
  • Marty I can't agree with you . In the past maybe but today OsX is largely used by most of the people and pros in the industry. I rarely work with colleagues that own a PC. Most of all that own a Pc don't really use it they just maintain it. Pc user usually have to take care of updates, viruses, malware. Most of the hard drive is occupied by useless applications like windows movie maker, internet explorer, and many other useless applications that just waste your pc resources in term of hd , ram, CPU and GPU. Is it a fact that windows is largely known as a very bad Os full of bugs and very vulnerable most of all as you are pointing the same hardware running much faster with linux. The cost of a mac is justified by Osx and the incredible user experience that come with it. No virus, no malware, very few security updates, super stable Os, basically uncrashable. It's very common to see Pc with BSOD or with pop up that require the user attention to some unknown errors. windows is not a professional OS it's good for cheep computers only. All the lighitng applications started with a Pc since most of the people used to have a pc in the past but that it's something related to the last century. today I hardly find happy windows users and if I found one I always find that he spend most of his time to maintenance his os rather then use it. Is is a fact that most of all applications used commonly are multiplatform. Also please consider what others have done in the past , look at Catalyst , Artisan , Virtuoso, V676 . Catalyst in particular is on the market for more then 15 years and it didn't had any hardware compatibility in all this time. Look outside the industry Autodesk released Autocad for Mac , wait ! what ? a professional application made for architects on Mac ? Why ? Numbers are saying that the windows based pc industry is not doing well since very long time and if you connect the points you can see that Macs will growing more and more in the futures years. Hog3 was born over 10 years ago and that was a different time. Today in 2013 it's clear that Macs are taking market share over the Windows Based. Looking at the future of windows with windows 8 it's clear that a professional application like hog4pc can't run on a sort of media center for cheep hardware as windows 8 with his "METRO" style look like. Again Metro will use your ram , your hd , your GPU and your CPU resources for what? Live Tiles? C'mon ... Sure you can hack it and disable all this fancy features but again this is mean spending time and time means money . You are very free to hack your system as you like to make it run faster and try to make it more stable but windows was not , is not and will not be a good os. These are facts . If you want my personal opinion about windows rather then the facts I can tell you that every time I log in to it I'm really scared about it and I don't feel confortable to run Applications like wysiwyg or HogPc in such unstable system. We could go on forever. Fact is that most of the people wish a Hogpc4mac.

I know very long answer but it's needed for this topic.
  • Actually, there has been a sharp rise in the number of viruses, malware and exploits on OSX in recent times. It is no longer safe to run a Mac without anti-virus software.

To add balance to this debate, I have been using Hog 3PC for six years on Windows machines, on live shows and they have all been completely rock-solid - never crashed and no BSODs. Any problems I have had have been due to documented bugs within the Hog 3 software itself.
  • Robert you are not correctly informed , there are none Viruses ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_virus ) for Osx,there has been problem with Java but that not part os the Os it self and there has been 2 or 3 malware that as been installed by the users them self purposely. There is no way to be attached by a virus on osx until you are going to give access to it intentionally by typing the password. BTW this all end with the introduction of the Mac App Store and gate Keeper on the lasted Osx 10.8 Mountain Lion.
  • Just a couple of links...

securitywatch.pcmag.com/none/295168-the-ten-most-dangerous-mac-viruses

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems
  • Clearly there are more chryslers or fiat rather then ferrari or Dodge Viper
  • [QUOTE=srautane;63144]securitywatch.pcmag.com/none/295168-the-ten-most-dangerous-mac-viruses

As they say in the article ... all the malware are very old starting from the 2006. all of this malware was installed by the user and manly downloaded from bittorrent, *** site, or unknown sources.

It's very very very rare to be affected by a malware on Mac Osx specially on the lasted 10.8 mountain lion , of corse windows is still the most used Os right now. Right now .
  • This thread sounds to me a bit biased.
    I personally have no problem with my Windows. Runs smooth and is as solid as OS X.
    Cost of the Windows was under 300€. If I want to upgrade to 8 it will cost 30€
    Microsoft Security Essentials is free. Got no problem with viruses, malware, spyware. Most important is just to use common sense.
    I'm running Wyg, Sketchup, Lightroom, Kolor Autopano, Photomatix, Games, Spotify, Voip programs, Hog. I see no point changing to OS X.

Though, I have nothing against having a Hog in OS X. But putting resources to something which has a really small market share is a bit waste of money.

More than a OS X version I would like to see a Linux version.
    I want to be free and that's why I choose Win or Linux.
  • Yeah Linux is the answer for me too , even if I would prefer a mac version I understand that this cost resources. Linux seams less expensive